Thursday, May 29, 2008

the blind man cometh

flowering cactus at Fort Loudon State Park-never saw one of these in the Northwoods!

Not really a blind man (I hope!) - a man is coming to install our blinds today. We are also expecting a lady who is responding to our Craig's list ad about our desk for sale. And Mom and Dad are coming over for dinner.

Emptying out the desk we are selling proved to be another walk down memory lane. This desk was in my mother-in-law's kitchen. We brought it over to our house after she died and never really cleaned it out.

Yesterday I spent most of the morning sorting, cleaning, pitching, and organizing the contents of the desk. Actually I have spent the past several years sorting, cleaning, pitching and organizing. Will I ever be done?

I know this. I will never need to buy another pencil or pen as long as I live. Even if I live to be 100, I can't imagine using up all the writing utensils we have. If you ever need to borrow a pen or pencil, PLEASE ASK ME. Between my mother-in-law's vast collection and my own contributions we are set. Something about being a teacher/homeschooler has always made me enter the stores in late August and succumb to the back to school sales. Not clothes, school supplies.

In this desk I found a file folder Pat's grandpa had regarding the harvesting and selling of herbs (you would find it interesting Cheri!). There were several informative pamphlets from the 40's and 50's. If you ever want to make a decent living harvesting and selling horseradish let me know. I've got the info you need.

And then I came across this stuff:



See why it takes me so long to sort through stuff? How many of you have campaign buttons and cards from the '60's (actually late 50's I suppose) sitting in your desk drawers?

These have now been listed on Craig's list and hopefully will be in the hands of someone who really appreciates these things soon.

Gotta run....getting ready for a blinds man and sorting. cleaning, pitching and organizing....

1 comment:

Curly said...

I love the Nixon cutout picture! I have a picture of my brother, cousins, and myself with a cardboard President Reagan. I think I was 11 years old.