Tuesday, May 27, 2008

porch sittin'


Watts Bar Lake
There are some dogs down the road. My nephew Richard calls them 'porch dogs', because that is where they always hang out.
I guess we are 'porch dogs' too. Now that we have a back porch (screened in) and a front porch (not screened in), we have done a fair amount of porch sittin'. I think we have only eaten one or two meals in our kitchen. All the rest have been on the porch.
The advantages of porches are many: you can observe the neighbors (smile), of course, they can also observe you, you can watch the progress of the construction on the house up the hill, you can watch the birds (and I suppose the skunks and the snakes), you can see when DOD is going on his walk and ambush him when he comes around to the front of the house. You can see who is mowing their lawns. (Again. My turn today. ) Porches protect homes from the blistering heat that locals assure us is yet to come.
One of the nicest things, though, is to sit on the back porch during a rain storm. We did this last night for a while. DOD and I had just finished walking, Pat had just returned from fishing. We were all inside safe from the rain. But enjoying it all the same.
I highly recommend porch sittin' during a rain storm. Very calming and relaxing.
~~~~~~
As you can see, I have changed the look of my blog a little. Any feedback would be appreciated. I have changed the name to reflect our new location and to acknowledge the fact that I still do ramble.
However, I am open for suggestions. Not that I will necessarily take any of them (especially those that have to do with cow pies - got that J. and L.?). But feel free to enter a new name for this blog in the comment section.
It will be interesting to see what y'all come up with.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

DOD suggests "Old Hickory Notes" because Old Hickory is your street and Notes is your music. Of course, this could be modified to Old Hickory Nuts, but that may be to personal.

UNOWHO

Lora said...

I don't know...the "porch" theme is kinda striking me. You could name your blog "Porch Sittin'"...or "View From the Porch"...or, to incorporate UNOWHO's suggestion, "Porch Nuts".
:-)

cheri said...

Porch nuts sounds like a good snack. I'll need to work on developing something along those lines!

And yes DOD, you know we are a little nuts!

Curly said...

I like the new name!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. I visit often. What about Tennessee Tales? But I like the one you have. The name doesn't matter, as long as the "ramblings" stay the same! :~}