Monday, May 19, 2008

rescue me

isn't this beautiful? Pat took this photo when he and Jay were out exploring
some of the natural wonders of our area

I forgot to mention yesterday that we also bought a dryer. A dryer! For the first time in 30 years (and I hope the last - those things are expensive!). Lest you think I have completely given up my tightwad ways, rest assured I have not. There is nary a clothesline in our neighborhood, but I am 'stealth drying'. My drying rack will set up nicely on our back screened in porch. This porch catches the morning sun and is a lovely place to have my morning devotions, but also a wonderful place to set up my handy dandy, sturdy Amish made drying rack and get some clothes dried!

But I digress, that is not what my post is about today.

I have been reading through the life of David recently. The Bible reading plan I am using focuses on passages in I and II Samuel and then takes you into Psalms that were written by him during the time described in the historical account.

Time and time again, David finds himself in trouble. Time and time again, he calls out to God. Time and time again, God rescues him or chastises him. David repents and seemingly never fails to give glory to God.

Dad and I had a chance to help one of our neighbors yesterday. We were walking back toward our house and saw that M. was searching through the grass for something. He had been mowing and there were some shredded bits of paper here and there. He was hoping to find some rather valuable papers that he had in a little wallet in his pocket. We searched and searched. Finally we found what he was looking for, a few hundred feet away from the shredded bits, only these were not shredded but still intact. His first words? "Praise the Lord!" He recognized from whence our help had come.

While we were helping M. search, Pat was out fishing. And carrying out his own rescue effort. He noticed a duck, a rather dead looking duck on the rocks next to the river. On closer inspection, he discovered that the duck was not dead, but exhausted from its efforts of trying to free itself from the fishing line with which it was entangled. (Note to fishermen: please be careful how you dispose of your fishing line!).

Pat had a little knife with him and was able to cut the fishing line away from the duck. The duck instantly revived and flew off, without a backward glance. Pat probably saved that duck's life. Did it show any gratitude? Perhaps in its own duck way, it was very grateful.

So often we fail to recognize the hand of God in our life. We think our successes are due to our own cleverness, our failures are just bad luck or perhaps, someone else's fault. We lack gratitude.

I'm with David. I want to live my life recognizing my need for a rescuer, a Savior.

"Give ear to my word, O LORD, consider my sighing.

Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God., for to you I pray. Morning by morning, O LORD, you hear my voice; morning by morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation.

Let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you. For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous; you surround them with your favor as with a shield."

Psalm 5:1-3,11-12

1 comment:

momawake said...

That's for sharing that Psalm. It's very encouraging. :)