Wednesday, June 04, 2008

a day in the life of...


view from our front yard - looking toward the northwest
Every once in a while I come across a blog that describes, in depth, the details of their activities that day. Although I often find these interesting - I won't do that to you , because the major activity today will be: going through boxes - again.
I will tell you this. It is going to be in the 90's this week. Yesterday, today and the rest of the week. I will not complain about the heat. I will not complain about the heat. I will not complain about the heat. After the very cold, long Wisconsin winter just past, I will not complain about the heat.
So, I will sort through craft and sewing boxes (I can't find my scalloped edged scissors which necessitates this search and sort) in air-conditioned comfort (wearing denim capris, a brown tee shirt and my brown Crocs - LOVE MY CROCS - they are as ugly as all get-out but oh so comfortable...by the way I am telling you what I am wearing because that seems to be something one does in a blog of a day in the life of.... there - run on enough for ya?).
I have also been searching through cookbooks for summertime recipes. It is going to be hot this week (not that I'm complaining mind you) and I'd like to have some cool refreshing salads on hand.
I found this recipe for macaroni salad (which of course I will tweak and adjust because I can't leave well enough alone) in Hearth and Home by Karey Swan:
3/4 C. mayo
2 T. cider vinegar
1 t. salt
1 t. sugar
1 tsp. powdered mustard seed (which I assume is ground mustard and if it is not you will be the first to know and I think I will start off with 1/2 t,)
dash pepper
4 hard-cooked eggs, cooled, peeled and chopped (don't you love that they need to tell us to peel the eggs)
4 C. cooled, cooked and drained elbow macaroni (12 oz. uncooked)
1/2 C. chopped green onions
1/2 C. sliced radishes
3/4 C. diced Colby cheese ( I have not been able to find Colby cheese down here. What kind of a state doesn't have Colby cheese??)
2. T. chopped parsley
Combine first six ingredients and mix well. Add remaining ingredients. Cover and refrigerate.
So, there you have it. I'll let you know if it is good. I'm confident it will be, because I have yet to be disappointed in a recipe from this book.
So....what is going on in your world today? I'd love to know!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, right now I'm looking in awe at your pics of Tennessee. It hasn't climbed above 75 degrees yet here and I'm still wearing my sweatshirt and my CROCS-with socks-Wisconsin style. Today is the last day of school in Three Lakes; the kids are done at 1pm. The Dr. says that if Erin hasn't delivered her baby on her own by Monday, he's gonna start her labor. So this grandma is preparing to rush to Omaha at the drop of a pin. The lilacs along the roadside are blooming and the air is heavy with their fragrance. The mosquitoes are healthy and busy. Gas is $4.09 or at least it was last night. The tourists are here. That's what's happening. We miss you up here, but it's so fun to hear about your neck of the woods and see your pictures. Blessings to you and Pat.
Karen P.

Anonymous said...

Hi Cheri!

What's happening here is a cool spring. 90 degrees! I can't imagine! I haven't even planted my flowers yet! Also, on my afternoon walk yesterday I encountered a bear and a red fox. My dog Tucker was amazingly oblivious to both. Love looking at your photos. You went from one very beautiful place to another.
Nancy N.

Becky said...

Yep, hot here as well. Very hot.

The good news is that I will be picking green beans this weekend.

I saw 3 deer run across the trail just in front of me on my 6:30 a.m. walk of 3 miles.

Mr and Mrs House Wren have apparently completed the building of their new apartment and are preparing to set in for a 6 week period of incubating and nurturing thier babies, not yet laid as we speak, but we are expecting that anytime now.

The Butler is on pastor retreat. The H.S. Junior is taking finals today and tomorrow. I am heading off to don my rubber gloves and clean my house.

Have a great day in Tennessee.

Mama Ann The Quiltin' Swede said...

Hi Cheri,
Quiltingswede, here. Thanks for a comment on my blog. My family tree program is called Family Tree Creator Deluxe, a gift from my dear daughter-in-law. It is great fun but I lose all track of time when I work on it. Also a great summer macaroni dish is: Cook macaroni and cold rinse, add cubed up colby cheese or you choice of kind and add sliced olives, onions if you want. Dressing is miracle whip diluted with olive juice from the jar. Another one: 4 cups cooked macaroni, 1 cup chopped olives, 1 cup chopped onion 1 cup chopped celery 1 tsp salt 1/4 tsp pepper 1/2 cup green pepper chopped 3 -6oz cans shrimp. Dressing 1/2 cup french dressing 1 cup salad dressing 1/4 cup chili sauce. Chill.

Have a great week.

Ann

Lora said...

I'm looking dismally at the sheets I hung on the line that are now getting sprinkled on. Oh well, some folks probably pay big money for fabric softner with names like "Fresh Rain Rinse".

Tessa is gutting the bedroom she shares with Taylie because she is fed up with mess it's become.

Taylie is at work at the Maid (sorry, I probably shouldn't make you pine for tater wedges and hot fudge sundaes), Wylie is at his summer job raking and mowing at a nearby estate. Mark is guiding today. Ramsey is in Minnesota for 3 weeks of Advanced Training at Camp Ripley. Mandy and Damen stop by almost every day. I'm really getting into Granny mode myself. I pulled the old toybox out of hibernation... :-)

I baked bread yesterday, three loaves, and there is a half a loaf left. So I will be firing up the mixer again this afternoon.

Becky speaks of picking beans this weekend...I just got my beans planted two days ago! Which I did while wearing my Crocs and socks, by the way.

TNfarmgirl said...

Oh WOW!! That is one of my FAVORITE cookbooks! Remind me to give you my basil dressing recipe when you come.

Something awful happened after we talked - that night we found a HUGE black snake in the feed trough eating an egg....tonight we found another one right outside the schoolroom window! It had climbed a trellis and was hanging out near a bird nest....I think you sent the snakes my way!

Love you!
Cheri

cheri said...

Karen, keep us posted on baby news! And maybe you could stop in and give my grandbaby a hug on your way to Omaha.

Nancy, so good to hear from you. It is probably a good thing that Tucker didn't notice the bear and the fox. And hopefully the bear especially didn't notice you!

Becky, it is so much fun watching birds build their nests and raise their little ones. Enjoy!

Mama Ann, thanks for the info and thanks for reading!!

Lora, seems like Crocs 'n socks are the way to go up north. My Crocs are currently sockless.

Cheri, I promise I did not send the snakes your way. Yikes! And yes, that is one of my fave cookbooks too. Hope to see you real soon!