Tuesday, June 24, 2008

just what I was looking for....

Our neighbors told us about an Amish farm that sold vegetables. It is about 30 miles from here - about 10 miles from the middle of no-where.

It is just exactly what I was hoping to find.

It is only a mile off the same main highway that runs near our home. Directed by a sign, we turned off the main highway and were surprised at the steady stream of cars passing us on their way out.

This must be good, we thought.

The road narrowed to one lane and we passed under an old train trestle. In a moment we were there.

The parking lot was much larger than we expected. Cars constantly coming in and out. The surrounding fields were full of corn, beans, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, squash, herbs, onions and other fruits and vegetables. The bins in the farmstand were full. Except for the bin of baked goods, which we learned always sold out early in the day.

The prices were good. Not bargain basement, but good. We bought some corn and some tomatoes. And a melon. I'm think they grow their crops organically, although they do not make that claim (that involves all kinds of government regulations, which I'm pretty sure the Amish would rather avoid). We picked some corn worms off the tips of some of the ears of corn, but I would much rather share my ear of corn with one of God's creatures than with a bunch of chemical pesticides.

There were a few signs around the farmstand requesting that people be modestly dressed. No tank tops or 'stropless' tops. 'We work for you, please respect our beliefs.' I wanted to take pictures of all this, of course, but the Amish prefer not to be photographed.

We will definitely go back. There is also a gentleman there on Friday and Saturdays who sells beef. Grass fed, no added hormones, no added antibiotics, pasture raised beef. It is pricey, but we plan to go back and buy some meat from him. For the little bit of meat we eat, we want to make sure it is the highest quality.

It was a fun trip for the two of us. I plan to take Mom and DOD down there soon and we will stock up on fresh goodies.
~~~~
Good news: I FOUND MY BEIGE FOLDER! Yesterday, the furniture store from which we had ordered some nightstands called. The stands were in. I went to pick them up and on a 'whim' - or as I prefer to think, prompted by the Holy Spirit, I stopped in at another furniture store that we had visited. We did not stay long at this store (this was on May 8 the day before we moved in to our house). The floors were dirty, some of the furniture was nicked, the office was disorganized. I do not recall even bringing my folder into this store.

I asked the lady in the office if anyone had found a beige folder. In the midst of that dirty, disorganized office, she was able to pull my folder out immediately. Hooray for disorganization. If she was a neatnik she probably would have pitched my folder out long ago. I was and am THRILLED! There were two gift cards in there - each for $50, so you know how happy it makes this tightwad to reclaim $100! (thanks to kjh for praying!)

~~~~~
Thanks so much to all of you for your prayers and kind words in the comment section and emails after our little adventure last week. I feel a great fondness for my blog readers whether I know you or not. Thanks for taking the time to read my little ramblings and for caring. It means so much to me.

And Dee from Tennessee...are you anywhere near southeast TN?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cheri:
I'm So Happy for you that you found the Beige Folder! Praising God with you. Spend those gift cards joyfully.
kjh

Anonymous said...

Dee from Tennessee

Hi! I am tucked waaaaay up in the corner of northeast Tennessee. Our county actually joins Virginia....we are just a hop, skip, and jump away from North Carolina also. As a matter of fact, we just went over to Boone yesterday. (And I told my husband about your health "episode" yesterday on the way home...still thinking about you and your sweet parents.)

Welcome to Tennessee....wish you only the best and am so VERY thankful that you're okay.

momawake said...

Sounds like you had a successful day. I don't know what we'd do without our Amish farmer and my friend who works hard for our produce. I should also include thankfulness for my dh who works hard for our produce as well. :)

cheri said...

Thanks, Karen!

Dee, I'll put a little note on my blog next time we head up to NE TN.

And you are right momawake. We should all be thankful for everyone who works hard for our produce!