Wednesday, July 30, 2008

admiration and inspiration

Nathan called the other day and during the course of the conversation casually mentioned that he is training for the Chicago half-marathon.

I am impressed. He printed out an 8 week training schedule and is pressing toward his goal.

Jon has been pursuing a goal for several months now. He is close to being at the finish line, I'll share more about that another day.

Daniel also called yesterday. He talked about the fun his team had playing 'Bananagram' which is similar to speed scrabble for those of you who know what that is. Speed scrabble is a cut throat game when played by my boys.

He said his teammates were surprised that he 'smoked them'. "Why?" I asked. Apparently, Daniel carries around a little notebook and when someone says a word that he is unfamiliar with, he writes it down and gets the definition. He is increasing his vocabulary. Perhaps they had the impression that he didn't have a very good vocabulary. I, as his mother, see this, of course, as a very intelligent way to educate oneself.

I am always amazed when I see the boys flat out pursuing some goal. They may have gotten some good qualities from their phlegmatic old ma, but intensity in achieving something wasn't one them. That came from their dad.

I am proud of each one of them and sooooo thankful.

Our youth pastor preached Sunday (his parents are moving into our neighborhood soon and we will have kindred spirits close by - parents who can commiserate with us on what it was like to raise 'crazy' (in a good way) people).

His sermon was challenging and full of 'all or nothin' phraseology. Being sold out to God. Radical in our faith. Make the house of God a priority.

It was inspiring.

I'm inspired by my boys and by the sermon last Sunday. Time to put that inspiration into action. Are you with me?

"You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind."
Matthew 22:37

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Cheri! I tried to call you a few minutes ago, but must have the wrong number written down! Can you please give me a call or e-mail me your number? I have a question to ask you! Thanks, Candy