Saturday, July 12, 2008

as good as it gets

I miss my fellow gardener.

Sweet corn so delicious and flavorful it needs no salt or butter.

Cucumbers drizzled with a little bit of Italian dressing.

Perfectly ripe peaches - sweet and tender.

Last night's supper, grown by the local Amish, was everything I hoped it would be.

The Amish farm was plenty busy yesterday. Once again, cars steadily streamed in and out. We had to wait to reach into the produce bin to fill our bags with the produce we wanted. We had to wait in line to check out. Men with long beards, blue shirts, black suspenders and pants worked hard to keep the bins full and the lines moving.

No cash registers here. Sums were totaled using old fashioned non-electric adding machines. A horse drawn buggy made its way back and forth from the fields bringing more bushel baskets of corn, beans, potatoes, beans, onions, squash to replenish the supply in the market shed.

One buggy was driven by a young father. His little girl was beside him and I really wanted to take a picture of her. She was probably about Emilee's age. So cute, next to her daddy in her bonnet and long dress. The Amish do not like to have their pictures taken so I refrained.

We did not see any of the women. But their works were very evident. Jams, cookies, breads. We succumbed to the smell of the sticky buns - a caramelized sweet roll. Oh, my. Probably the best I've ever tasted.

I am guilty of romanticizing the Amish way of life. I know they are not perfect and that various Amish communities have their fair share of problems. However, the simplicity of their community and business attracts me. Ann and I have often joked (in a kind of serious way) that we would love to be Amish. I admire their hard work, their determination to adhere to their way of life and their desire to live their lives to please God. They are not distracted by the things that distract so many of us in this technological age.

While I will most likely never be Amish, I will continue to patronize their farm stand to buy things we cannot yet produce ourselves or aren't dropped off at our doorstep. We can help support their way of life and enjoy the most delicious produce we have had in quite a while.

Win win.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I am distracted by the technology age and reading your blog and wanted to let you know that the peach truck from Georgia came to the Northwoods today, so I have a bushel ripening on my kitchen table one more day, to can on Monday. But I wanted to tell you that the SPIDER crawling on the peaches got a CAREFUL inspection for red spots before I smashed it. Luckily, no black widow spiders from the south today. Enjoy all of that good Amish food. Just found my recipe for Bumbleberry Jam, (which includes rhubarb and any berries in season at the time) that I originally tasted once at an Amish restaurant. I plan to try to make a batch this year. But today I don't feel like doing anything...tired from a week of VBS (where I really wasn't responsible for that much). A good Amish woman would get up and do her work anyway, right??? (I did weed carrots until dark last night, so I guess I'm sort of disciplined, except that weeding lets me avoid the pile of paperwork waiting for me on my desk that I should REALLY be doing.) I'll have to get a sign: I'D RATHER BE GARDENING. Have a good day! Linda

Becky said...

I, too, have been accused of wanting to be Amish. I've read a lot of fictional stories based on their way of life, which led to reading some not-so-fictional info to set me straight.

I traveled to Amish country in northern Indiana last summer. They taught us to spot an Amish farm by seeing the electric lines cut and knotted at the house. And they do have the neatest gardens, the cleanest laundry hanging on the lines, and the cutest German-speaking, barefooted boys and girls.

I do love the peaceful life they have, and hard work they go through to keep it that way.

Enjoy the fruits of THEIR labors today. Sounds delicious.

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

We spent a week "among the Amish" when we met our daughter's family at cottage they rented in Lancaster County in May.

I have always appreciated the Amish, too, and one thing I realized during that week is how how their faith is such a part of their lives. It is the center of everything they do.

No one is perfect but there are a lot of good things we can learn from the Amish.

freddie said...

Hi, I've always been interested in the Amish was of simple life, but beside that, what more interest me and i found fashinating is the idea of community, where everyone is useful to the other.

very nice blog
God bless you
freddie

bernard n. shull said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
cheri said...

Linda, the paper work will keep. The gardening lasts only for a short season - so go for it! Glad your spider wasn't the poisonous kind!

Becky, it was delish and I too am inspired by their neatness.

Brenda, thanks for stopping by, I am inspired by your blog!

Freddie, I saw your name mentioned on Brenda's. Thanks for paying a visit and for setting such a good example with your life.