Saturday, July 26, 2008

busy?

photo by Jon...when I wasn't looking...
notice however, how I am skillfully concealing my double chins....

It was good to hear from an old friend. However, her question gave me pause.

The question that stymied me was: What are you doing to keep busy?

Not a hard question and I do have an answer, but not the answer I was accustomed to giving.

What am I doing with my time? Shredding zucchini, peeling apples, walking, apending time with Mom and Dad, housework, sorting stuff, working in the yard.

Over the past years I could answer: homeschooling, teaching Sunday School, working in Awana, directing choir, helping in the food pantry….things that sounded good. Important. Significant. At least to me.

Now, what do I do to keep busy? Man, I can shred zucchini with the best of ‘em.
Bring it on.

I was hoping to be a great help to Mom and Dad, but so far they have been far more helpful to us.

As I have been pondering this question, I think I have come up with an answer. What am I doing to keep busy?

I am waiting.

Waiting on the LORD, renewing my strength. More time to pray, more time to watch and wait and see how God answers prayer.

I came across this wonderful quote from Oswald Chambers in the marvelous devotional book My Utmost for His Highest:

"Prayer does not fit us for the greater works; prayer is the greater work."

~~~~~~~~
Hopefully you didn't miss the fun in comment section yesterday.
Boys will be boys.

4 comments:

Becky said...

Love that quote. And I went back to see the fun in the comments. Love that too. I have 3 boys, grown almost as much as yours, and that conversation is awfully typical when they get together.

Competition is rampant in a house full of boys. I used to tease that we painted our walls with testosterone :)

Becky said...

That was me up there. Apparently I was not signed in.

Patrice said...

I haven't blogged in quite some time, just doing some lurking here and there, so I did some catching up on your blog today. I'm glad that you are feeling better~~~no heart attack. Congrats on becoming a Grandma!!! He is such a cutie. Glad things are going well for you in the south, I'm sure it is very different from up north. I know I went through a culture shock type thing when I lived in Arkansas for a few months. Take care and I'll stop by your blog to catch up again soon.

cheri said...

I knew you would understand, Becky~

Welcome back Patrice~