Thursday, July 24, 2008

porch pail

Though it was in pretty rough shape after being dragged from Wisconsin to Minnesota to Iowa to Illinois through Kentucky and into Tennessee (it was in the car for almost two weeks enduring temperature extremes from 30 - 80 degrees) the hibiscus has recovered beautifully. Doncha think?

OOPS, my bad. My eagle eye husband pointed out that this is not our hibiscus. He is correct (I hate it when that happens - lol). This is a salad plate size hibiscus flower that I photographed when we were in Pigeon Forge last week. Having said that, Curly, our own hibiscus is doing quite well. Perhaps you should put yours in the car and take it on a road trip and abuse it some!







When I returned from grocery shopping the other day, Pat asked me, "Where did the apples on the back porch come from?"


"What apples on the front porch?" I asked.


We both laughed. Our generous neighbors have struck once again. They know that we loathe to wasting food and at least once a week, they bring something over for us. (Usually when we are not home and can't refuse it.)


But as you know if you have read this blog for more than a few days, I am not one to refuse free food. A good reputation?


I now have a five gallon bucket in my kitchen half full (that would make about 2 and 1/2 gallons, right?) of little teeny tiny apples. Somewhere between the size of a golf ball and a tennis ball.

Lots of peeling and coring and slicing are in my future. I think I will try my hand at canning apple pie filling, since neither one of us is real big on applesauce. Just as soon as it is not 90+ degrees.


Once again, I am very grateful for the gift. It will require some work on my part, but with a tuition bill looming on the horizon and the first of my medical bills from my little ambulance trip beginning to arrive, I am very thankful and amazed to see how God provides for our every need.


Fresh apples in July. Wonderful!

3 comments:

Curly said...

I can't believe that plant made it! I have horrible luck with hibiscus, and I live in the perfect climate for them. Ugh!

Marci said...

Look around at garage sales for a Victorio or Squeezo strainer. You wash the apples cut them in quarters or halves. Cook until soft. Put through the strainer. The peel, core, stem and seeds all shoots out the end into a bowl for chickens or compost. The rest comes out the screen as apple sauce. They are worth their weight in gold. I am hoping to carry one or the other in my store on line.

cheri said...

Curly, my experience has been that if you neglect and abuse your hibiscus it will do fine. But that is just me.

Marci thanks for the tips!