Friday, October 30, 2009

month of contrasts

this morning's sky


October days range from warm to cold. Days of great beauty and color to gray and drizzly.

Emotionally this month has been all over the place too. I have sent out 5 sympathy cards this month alone. Five families suffering the loss of a loved one.

Yet as I have worked out my grief over the last few days on this blog, I have been touched by friends reaching out with words of comfort. Thank you. Especially to kjh and Kathee, college friends whose emails came at just the right time.

Lest you think it is all sadness around here, let me assure you, it is not. There are five family birthdays this month. Reasons to celebrate.

I spent some time on Sue's husband's facebook page. Looking through the family photos and seeing so many pictures recording laughter and great times. Precious few pictures of Sue, she was the one snapping the shots, but the ones of her are so....her. Her family 'mugging' around her, Sue sitting calmly in their midst with a smile on her beautiful face. She will be so missed.

Her memorial service is tomorrow. Which, it occurred to me, is the 23 rd anniversary of my friend Diane's death. My. Two lovely ladies gone too soon. I am so blessed to have known both of them. (Amazing too, that I could 'google' Diane's name and find her though she was gone long before google had begun.)

Nate called with some wonderful news yesterday:


No, it is not their baby. This is the sweet little baby girl of their best friends. Her daddy is one of the snowboarders that we hosted every year when we lived up north. Her pictures on facebook are simply adorable. Congratulations to T. and C! And Nate and Michelle, I like this look! :)

Awaiting news of another birth today. C.'s c-section is scheduled for this morning.

There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven....
Ecclesiastes 3:1

1 comment:

Becky said...

Perfect scripture for all you have been through. I know you wish you could be at your friend's memorial service.

I like that look too! They are such a cute couple.