Thursday, October 29, 2009

sleepless in the Smokies


I took advantage of my sleeplessness last night to pray for Sue's family. Strains of this old (1876) hymn floated through my brain:

Loved with everlasting love, led by grace that love to know;
Gracious Spirit from above, Thou hast taught me it is so!
O this full and perfect peace! O this transport all divine!
In a love which cannot cease, I am His, and He is mine.
In a love which cannot cease, I am His, and He is mine.

Heav’n above is softer blue, Earth around is sweeter green!
Something lives in every hue Christless eyes have never seen;
Birds with gladder songs o’erflow, flowers with deeper beauties shine,
Since I know, as now I know, I am His, and He is mine.
Since I know, as now I know, I am His, and He is mine.

Things that once were wild alarms cannot now disturb my rest;
Closed in everlasting arms, pillowed on the loving breast.
O to lie forever here, doubt and care and self resign,
While He whispers in my ear, I am His, and He is mine.
While He whispers in my ear, I am His, and He is mine.

His forever, only His; Who the Lord and me shall part?
Ah, with what a rest of bliss Christ can fill the loving heart!
Heav’n and earth may fade and flee, firstborn light in gloom decline;
But while God and I shall be, I am His, and He is mine.
But while God and I shall be, I am His, and He is mine.

This morning's devotional reading brought further comfort. It was John 11. The death of Lazarus. Jesus proclaims:

I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this? (vs. 25-26)

And when Jesus saw Mary and the other mourners weeping, He was filled with compassion. As a result of His compassion we see the shortest verse in the Bible:

Jesus wept.

Such comfort. We are not alone. Though we mourn and cry and lay awake, Jesus knows.
Jesus cares.
Sue fully knows this now. Not 'through a glass darkly' but face to face.

No comments: