Friday, October 23, 2009

why do birds suddenly appear?


Instead of meeting Randy and Ann in Townsend, I went all the way to Pigeon Forge. The revised plan was that I would meet Ann and her three friends from high school at the Burger King and we would venture out from there.

We made contact via cell phone, I told them I was waiting out front, they said they were just pulling into the parking lot.

I did not see them. They did not see me.

Turns out Pigeon Forge has more than one Burger King. Who knew?

When we finally got ourselves at the same Burger King, I climbed into Ann's van and we went to the cabin they were staying in. We walked, we ate, we sat on the porch overlooking a 'holler' and just enjoyed visiting.

Then we girls decided to brave the twin cities (read: tourist traps) of Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge.

First stop was this pottery shop.
Beautiful pottery. I could have looked and looked and lightened our bank account by quite a bit, but I called on all the self-discipline I could muster and refrained. While the other gals bought, Ann and I sat out on the deck on a bench under a shade tree.

My reward for my self-control? As Ann and I chatted, I felt something first on my head and then on my shoulder. Some little bird perched in the tree above decided to let me know what it thought of me. Eeewwww.

Back into the pottery shop I went, seeking a bathroom so I could clean up. The shopkeeper thanked me for not making a fuss and when I expressed that it certainly wasn't her fault and no one could blame her, she said 'you'd be surprised'.

Along the way down the mountain there were several groups of shops. This, before we even got to Gatlinburg proper. We randomly stopped at one grouping and found some very nice shops. Including this beauty. I may have bought a little bit of fabric here, throwing self-control out the window since it had been so negatively reinforced earlier.

I hope to get back to this little shop. My aunts and cousins will be here in a few weeks and I think I can at least talk one of them into stopping and checking out all the luscious fabric.

All too soon, our time was over and Ann and the gals dropped me off at my car. A good time was had by all.

Now, I may disparage Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg as tourist traps and they are. Especially if you stay on the main drag. You know, you've seen one garishly decorated mini-golf course, you've seen them all. But if you get off the main drag there are all kinds of delightful shops. You could go shopping every day for months, I would guess, and never enter the same place twice.

However, and let this be our little secret, I really enjoy shopping in these towns. And I don't like shopping!

C'mon down and see us. I'll take you shopping. But please understand if I don't sit on any benches under trees.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that artist area; I would probably go only there if we were to go back and skip the normal stuff in town. We haven't been there in years, but we have fond memories of when we explored that area a couple of times.

I did shop there this past week, though -- without leaving the comfort of my home! Someone in my choir told me about a warmer made from cherry pits; great for sore muscles, etc. It's at a store where all the items are made from or related to cherry wood, cherries, etc. Our pastor & his wife were going down, so she shopped for me.
kjh

Becky said...

What a fun day! Except for the "incident".

I am not a shopper either. But I do love the small, quaint shops of cities like that. Off the beaten track as you say. I am glad you had a fun day with your friends. A bunch of gals can sure have a fun day together shopping and eating :)

Anonymous said...

I guess they don't call it Pigeon Forge for nothing. Linda

Anonymous said...

Ahhh....what the heck, live a little. Blow a few bucks on some nice pottery.
You deserve it !!

cheri said...

Oh, kjh, I hope you will come back down. I know a nice bed and breakfast you can stay at. Our house! Do you know where that cherry store is?

Becky, when are you coming to visit? :)

Linda, I laughed out loud when I read your comment! Too funny.

Anon., thankfully I have a brother-in-law who makes beautiful pottery and we are the happy owners of several pieces. Right now I'm saving my pennies for something else...

thatmom said...

I love that whole area, too. And, shhh don't tell anyone, but the one and only time we went to Dollywood, I LOVED it! :)