Saturday, November 28, 2009

mmmm...

last year's beautiful wreath from Lora

Sitting here in front of the computer with a steaming cup of tea and a piece of cranberry bread slathered with cream cheese. Mmm. Yeah, I'll start that diet tomorrow.

Yesterday, while the fam was out touring the countryside, I dealt with the turkey carcass. Into the canning kettle it went, with 12 cups of water. I cooked it for about an hour and a half and then strained the broth and picked the carcass clean (not my favorite job). In the meantime I assembled the ingredients for polevka (soup) a densely flavored soup that my wonderful friend Joyce made for us when we were in Czech Republic on a short term mission trip in '95.

Puree onion, celery, carrots and parsley, in blender in water. Reserve water. I used one onion, two stalks of celery and three carrots which was more than enough. This becomes the 'soup mix'.

Use 2 T. 'soup mix'.
2 T. chicken soup base (I used my turkey broth instead)
6 C. water (part reserved water)

Boil 10 minutes.

In small pan melt 3 T. butter , add 3 T. flour and one egg. Whisk this mixture briskly into soup. This makes little dumpling flakes.

I also added turkey meat, one chopped potato and some chewy sweet corn from the freezer.

A hearty and surprisingly rich soup. My nephew ate 3 bowls full. Twas good if I say so myself.

After we get our errand running done this morning, I think we will be decorating Mom and Dad's house for Christmas. Should be fun!


No comments: