Wednesday, December 16, 2009

flour power

Last week, I made a quick stop at the grocery store to pick up a few things. I noticed flour was on sale, so I deposited a five pound bag in my shopping tote.

Yesterday, after a very productive morning, I decided to do some baking. My new plan, rather than store baked goods in our freezer where they are in easy reach, was to take the baked goods down to Mom and Dad's freezer. They, being more, ahem, mature, are more self-disciplined than the people who live in this house.

I prepared two loaves of cranberry bread and popped them into the oven; then decided that as long as the kitchen was still messed up and the oven was hot I would make a pan of brownies.

In a few minutes I slid the brownies on the rack below the bread.

Timer set, I went on to my next project. About ten minutes later, I thought I smelled something burning. Impossible, I thought. The bread had at least a half hour to go - the brownies were only half way through their baking time.

I was dismayed when I opened the oven. The bread had oozed over the tops of the pans and spilled onto the brownies below as well as the oven floor.

After removing the messy, overflowing pans, I chipped away at the burned dough at the bottom of the oven.

Pat gamely tried the bread but when I heard the words 'too salty' and 'bitter after taste', I knew my baking was beyond salvaging.

The problem? I dug the empty flour bag out of the garbage and now noticed what I had not noticed before. The 'sale' flour was self-rising flour. To which I added baking soda and baking powder. Recipe for disaster.

Live and learn. Nice to know that at the ripe old age of 55 I can still learn things, huh?

But thankfully, the day was not a total loss. I finished the stockings for the grandbabes:

click to enlarge

The picture (they are hung on great-grandma's rocker) doesn't do them justice. I loved doing them and I loved how they turned out. And I am sorely tempted to keep them. Does that make me a bad grandma?

They were pretty labor intensive, the heels and the toes are quilted in a grid pattern. I made the bias binding with the instructions given in Amy Karol's Bend the Rules Sewing Book. (This kind of explains the process - be sure to read to the end) I think I have a new hobby - bias binding making. Great fun and the custom bindings add charm and character that you just don't get from the pre-packaged stuff.

And bias bindings don't blow up in the oven.
~~~~~
The rest of the self-rising flour? Shall be redeemed.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Oh, my! Sorry about the oven mess. And the failed baking. I bed the birds enjoyed the bread :)

The stockings are so pretty. Now the really fun part ... filling them :)

cheri said...

Thanks, Becky!