Friday, December 04, 2009

mo(u)rning thoughts

the roses bloom still on December 4th - and no Japanese beetles!

I'm trying to be more intentional about what I think about on my morning walk. It is easy to let my mind wander - sometimes that can be productive; sometimes not.

This morning I was meditating on the word Immanuel. Which means 'God with us'. Wow. Even 45 minutes of pondering this thought doesn't do justice to the reality of God being with us. Which is what Christmas is all about, by the way.

There is a sweet older lady in our Bible study. Her husband died in September. A few weeks later her nephew committed suicide. This week her son died of cancer after only being diagnosed two weeks ago.

My heart hurts for her. I pray that she experiences the Presence of Immanuel as she grieves.



"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God."
II Corinthians 1:3-4

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you still have roses, and probably sunshine too. The sun doesn't peek out too often here lately. This morning, when it did, I stood in the window and basked in it while quizzing for a spelling test! Regarding yesterday's blog, I catch myself playing songs with my fingers while singing in my head, with no piano around..... so I am well-prepared to accompany you in the nursing home....we will be quite a pair. I must be more intentional with my thinking too, I have wandered off into undisciplined paths. Love you, Linda

Anonymous said...

Walks are good. I like to purge all the "junk" up in my head during walks. I see things better after a good walk. About 2 miles is perfect.

cheri said...

You should see my roses today, Linda!

We will be quite a pair in the nursing home. LOL.

Yes, anon. Walks are good.