Saturday, December 12, 2009

Thirty!?!?!?!?

Back when I was in my twenties, I remember feeling so sorry for a friend of mine who told me her daughter had just turned 40. First of all, being 40 seemed so old and so far away and secondly having a 40 year old child made my friend seem practically ancient. Something I was surprised she would actually admit.

Now I know better.

Tomorrow our first born turns 30. 30!!!! How can it possibly have been 30 years since the doctor placed that 8 pound 12 ounce bundle in my arms?

Warning- mushy talk ahead:

Nathan is kind, smart, handsome, funny, talented and dedicated. A hard worker. Forward thinker. His name means 'gift of God' and he certainly is. We learned how to be parents at his expense, but God graciously forgave our mistakes and entrusted us with this remarkable young man (followed by two more!).

Life has not always been easy for Nate, but he has persevered and followed God's Word in spite (because ?) of the struggles.

He is quiet and reserved and you will not always know what he is thinking. But you will always know that he is thinking.

I remember one exchange that took place when he was in high school. He wanted to go hang out with some kids and I knew some things about these kids. I told him 'no'. He wanted an explanation and I could not give him a satisfactory one because what I 'knew' about these kids was based on hearsay. But that still small voice was telling me not to let him go.

So, I told him no and stuck with it. He told me, in a very calm voice, "I'm tempted to get angry with you."

I have to tell you, I was so impressed by that. He did not holler at me or storm off or question my authority or go out behind my back. He realized that what he was struggling with was the temptation to be angry and he mastered it.

So like him.

Whenever I read this verse, I think of Nathan:

Better a patient man than a warrior,
a man who controls his temper than one who takes a city.
Proverbs 16:32


Happy Birthday tomorrow Nathan. You continue to impress and amaze your parents. We are counting the days (10...) until we see you! Love you!




4 comments:

Michelle Shields said...

Nate's hot!!! His wife it one lucky lady!

Anonymous said...

Yep, Nate, you're getting old like the rest of us. (We are all still 40-something..so you are catching up.) Happy Birthday! Linda

Becky said...

And handsome to boot! Can I say that? I think I can, since my oldest will be 28 in January. AND ... Michelle called him HOT!

cheri said...

Michelle, you made me laugh! I think you and Nathan are both blessed!

Are we still 40 something Linda? I've lost track!

Yep, he's a handsome one all right Becky.