Tuesday, December 15, 2009

worlds apart


I am just about done stitching up the stockings for the grandchildren. What fun that has been - a labor of love. Pictures tomorrow.

Some of the stitching (there is a fair amount of hand quilting on these) was done sitting in a sewing rocker that originally belonged to Pat's great-grandma. As I sat there stitching Christmas stockings for her great-great-great-grandchildren, I marveled at how the world has changed since her time.

Her days would have been filled with labor intensive activity. Sewing clothes for the family. Cooking from scratch. Laundry consumed the better part of one day. No hopping in the car to run errands, no clicking away at the computer to shop or surf. I pondered these thoughts as I stitched and wondered at what the world might be like when Joshua and his siblings are all grown. Should the LORD tarry.

And if those differences seem stark, just think what it must have been like for Jesus to leave the 'splendors of heaven' to step into our world, into a smelly, dark stable. He who knew the riches of heaven left it for poverty. He who was worshipped by angels became limited by swaddling clothes. The Creator of the universe had to depend on others to have His needs met.

He left the splendor of heaven,
Knowing His destiny
Was a lonely hill on Golgotha

Where He laid down His life for me.

If that isn't love...
(words and music by Dottie Rambo)

A true labor of love.

2 comments:

Becky said...

What a great post. I think you and I just did church together. It's just what I needed.

Thank you.

cheri said...

Thank you, Becky. Praying for you during this transition time.