Friday, January 22, 2010

disaster relief

Praying for our friend Dave who left yesterday to help out with earthquake relief. But not in Haiti. He and his team are going to Peru to help rebuild from the earthquake in 2007.

And another friend is going to New Orleans to cook for the workers who continue to come to rebuild from Katrina's devastation.

So, even though we have a 'new' disaster in Haiti, there are still great needs in the 'old' disasters.
I'm ashamed to say that I had forgotten about the Peru earthquake, but will now renew my prayers for those survivors.

My grandmother took me to California for a high school graduation present (in 1972-yikes). Our relatives took us to see the ravages of the '67 earthquake. Five years later...highways were still twisted and unrepaired...gaping holes in the earth....evidence of former buildings.

I'm so thankful for these friends and others like them who have not forgotten those in need. It takes a long time to recover from a disaster. As some have said - it is a marathon, not a sprint.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here is hoping they can all recover without another one disrupting their lives. I sure feel for the little ones especially. The area of the world some folks live in can sure go bad in a hurry.
How does one rebuild that poor country knowing full well the Earth will move again someday ?? (hopefully not soon).
How does a country like Haiti afford to build Earthquake resistant buildings ? If they don't however.... we are looking at the same thing again someday. THis very real problem faces these folks and those directly assisting them.

cheri said...

Yes, real problems.

The answers are not easy and the solutions will take a lot of time and a lot of money.

Personally, I would love to adopt about a dozen orphans.

Anonymous said...

Believe me I have thought of the adoption thing. I don't think I'd have the energy to wrestle around on the floor with them (like I love to do and hear them squeal with glee ).
Raising little ones cprrectly takes LOADS of energy as you well know.