Saturday, January 30, 2010

getting prepared


With terse warnings about the impending storm being broadcast on every station, I decided to do what I could while we still had power.

Laundry - all caught up. We had homemade pizza last night instead of chicken alfredo. Chicken alfredo I can make on our camp stove. Pizza, not so much. My cell phone is all charged and I unplugged the clavinova in case of power surges.

Pat lit a candle or three and we sat down to watch a DVD. Much to my dismay, the power did not go out. I know, I'm weird. But, I love the challenge of doing things the hard way. Course we have a gas fireplace and city water so we would still have some heat and water. I haven't camped in almost three years now (!) and love cooking on my little camp stove. I may have to drag it out for old times' sake.

Have you seen this commercial? First of all, how in the world did they do that? And secondly, when I saw it for the first time the other day I was shocked and surprised that it was put out by FEMA. I wonder how many people will take it seriously.

Are you prepared? What would you do if your power was out for a week? If you couldn't get to the grocery store for a week? If your paycheck was delayed for a week? If your house became unihabitable? Do you have a plan?

I was pleased and amused to see the ingenuity of some Haitians on the news the other night. A man had set up a barber shop in a tent and was running his clippers off of a car battery (note to self, find out how to run computer and clavinova off car battery).

Of course, one can't prepare for every disaster; for every eventuality. But there is one event that will happen to everyone.

One Day, we will stand before the LORD. Are you prepared? Is your name written in the Book of Life?

I hope so, because that day will come in the twinkling of an eye, with no time to prepare. How about being sure of your salvation now?




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hat would you do if your power was out for a week? Turn on the ever reliable HONDA generator.....ooooh I love that thing.

If you couldn't get to the grocery store for a week? My favorite Italian Beef stand would do nicely !!

If your paycheck was delayed for a week? That's why there are banks and things called accounts.

If your house became unihabitable? Do you have a plan? 8 simple letters....MARRIOTT

I know, I know, this was not the intent of your post. But hionestly, those would be my answers (well...maybe not the Italian Beef part )

:>))

cheri said...

Anon. What a blessing to have those options. Not everyone does.

I guess I've worked with people at food pantries long enough to see how many people are so close to personal disasters.

Hope you are counting your blessings!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes....every day

Anonymous said...

Dee from Tennessee

We made sure we had LOTS of peanut butter -- we would have heat and water if power went out but no way to cook. We need to check into some kind of stove 'cause you never know. Thankfully, we kept power!

Saw someone on tv --maybe on Gaithers-- say that every night when they put their head on their pillow that they wanted to be sure that everything "was right between me and the LORD." I liked that.