Saturday, January 09, 2010

money talk

I have had no less than three conversations this week about saving money. This does not include the ongoing conversation Pat and I have about money. These are always good, constructive talks as both Pat and I are frugally minded.


We heard about a friend who lost his job this week. And the jobs report that came out yesterday was not good news.

Typically at the beginning of a new year, I re-read my old favorite money saving books for inspiration. I feel I can always do better in the spending department.

So here is a list of books and websites I turn to to help me make sure my spending is on track. And by the way, even if we were millionaires (we're not) I would not be able to justify buying whatever I want. It's just not in me. Pat is very grateful to Mom and Dad for this. :)

Books:
Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacyzyn
Living More with Less by Doris Janzen Longacre
More with Less Cookbook by Doris Janzen Longacre

I just finished reading:
The Complete Cheapskate by Mary Hunt
And am currently reading:
Financial Peace Revisted by Dave Ramsey

Here are a few websites I check:
Tightwad tips and frugal living and tightwad tips and frugal living archive
are both on this page. I generally check only these two threads in this forum.
Coffeeteabooksandme often speaks of 'living out of the pantry'. Brenda lives a beautiful life despite health and financial concerns.
Twofroghome
also speaks of simple living. This couple gardens and is currently chronicling a 6 month self imposed grocery store fast. They are eating what they have canned, frozen and otherwise preserved from their garden.
Down to earth is from down under. Rhonda Jean has a no-nonsense approach to the simple life. She has given me 'permission' to be a homemaker with no apologies.
Laine has learned to let the LORD guide her spending. She was able to save enough money to pay off their home mortgage quite early. And this living in California! Her husband works in construction and she has homeschooled their four children.

Oh, and did you see this? Interesting.....

I'm sure there is more that I am leaving out, but that should be enough to keep you busy over the weekend. As we are anticipating our financial situation changing later this year, I am studying these books and websites more, well, studiously.

~~~~~
It was the same temperature here this morning as it was in our former Northwoods town.
11*. Keep warm everybody and have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Becky said...

Yay for more tips. Thanks once again Cheri!

cheri said...

You are so welcome! Keep warm!