Wednesday, February 03, 2010

girly

frosted maple
We stayed home from church the other morning because our road was like a skating rink. Over 100 churches were canceled across the area and the news kept telling people to stay off the roads unless absolutely necessary.


So,we went to church on the radio and the internet. Nice, but not the same as being there.

if we can put a man on the moon,
can't we come up with a better name for this beautiful phenomenon than 'hoarfrost'?

Girl stuff has been on my mind for the past 48 hours or so. Still can't quite believe we will have a little girl in the family. In my mind's eye though, I see her sitting on her grandpa's lap...weaving her way into his heart and wrapping him around her little finger.

Without even trying I came across some cute girly quilts yesterday here and here.
We make the last payment on Daniel's tuition next week (can I hear a BIG HOORAY?!?!?) and then fabric stores, here I come!

Oh, and I think I need to learn how to smock.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You will have so much fun making girly things! When Abby was born, it was her great-grandpa that picked out the frilliest dress to bring her. I'm sure your grand-daughter will steal many hearts! I am dealing with a toothache today...root canal work on Monday. No horror stories, please! I'm not looking forward to it, but I really like my dentist, so I'm sure it will be fine. It looks so pretty there with all of that ice. We had a day or two like that, but mainly, we just have lots of snow. How is your group of sweet girls doing in the choir? Missing you. Linda

Becky said...

Oh, yes! DO learn to smock. It is not hard. I learned. I learned by taking a class to make a smocked Christmas ornament, so I could later smock a dress for our expected 2nd child, a girl, who would be named Erin Elisabeth.

When HE was born, I gave him the ornament for his first Christmas, and named him Aaron Andrew.

Oh, well. I can't remember how to smock, but I do remember that it was not difficult at all. Go for it!

Anonymous said...

I vote for smocking, too. It is really neat to see the pattern emerge on the pleats.

Note to Linda: My brother said being in the dentist chair for his root canal was a huge relief after all the pain.
kjh

cheri said...

Okey doke. Smocking is on the list.


Linda, praying for you at the dentist. Do you go to Scott?

We have only had one choir practice so far. Canceled because of weather once and another event the other time. I'll keep you posted on the sweet girls for sure!

thatmom said...

Cheri, after 5 of my own boys after one daughter and then 3 grandsons in a row, our sweet Penelope was born, followed by four more granddaughters. It has been such a delight to have little girls again!

Last summer I took her to the American Girl Doll store in Chicago, a plan I had for her 5th birthday since she was born. Mollie was too older for these dolls and I had been waiting to share it with another little girl!

I did learn to smock years ago and it is the most lovely hand sewing you can do! Please do learn!

I love the quilt picture, btw.

bb said...

And this is the weather that made C's return trip from Nashville via plane take longer than if she would have driven from there to New Jersey.
One inch of snow, really now? We call that dust around here.
Congrats on the new baby :) very exciting news!

Anonymous said...

And this is the weather that made C's return trip from Nashville via plane take longer than if she would have driven from there to New Jersey.
One inch of snow, really now? We call that dust around here.
Congrats on the new baby :) very exciting news!
bb

bb said...

oops, didn't know that worked....twice
well, just doing my part to up the comments....

Anonymous said...

good, i just added lots of different emo backgrounds in my blog
http://www.emo-backgrounds.info