Tuesday, March 23, 2010

dear friend,

I'd like to respond to your facebook status:

How most Republicans in Congress can claim they're Christian is an interesting sleight of hand trick. Didn't Christ heal the sick, feed the hungry, clothe the naked, and raise Lazarus from the dead? So why have most Republicans become the enemy of every generous impulse in our national character?

First of all, your indictment made me so sad. Yes, absolutely Jesus healed the sick, fed the hungry and clothed the naked and commanded His followers to do the same.

There's the catch, and why I was not in favor of this particular health care reform bill. (Note, I did not say I'm not in favor of health care reform.) Jesus commanded His followers to
care for the sick and needy, not the government.

I object to the current health care reform bill on three levels:
1) As one who is pro-life, I cannot support government funding of abortion (and yes, I realize that this was taken out of the bill, but only at the 11th hour.)
2) As a mother and grandmother, I cringe at the debt we are taking on for the future generations
3) There is a reason why people laugh at the punch line - 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help'. I have little to no faith that the health care reform bill as passed by the house will help.

Our state representatives enumerated the ways it will hurt our state budget. Paying for mandated health care reform will divert money from education and infrastructure projects.

It is a complicated issue and I don't pretend to have the answers. All I know is what Jesus called me to do. If I am faithful, I can do my little part to help those in need. I know it is a drop in the bucket and doesn't fix all the problems, but it is a start.

We recently had a meeting of the food pantry workers at our church. There were about 100 of us there. People who faithfully give their time and money to help. Every week we give a bag of groceries and milk and bread and meat to each recipient.

Without a government mandate.

I'm posting this as a comment to my friend's facebook status and waiting for the slings and arrows to fly.


No comments: