Friday, March 26, 2010

min.


I received an email from a friend and among other things, she informed me that a mutual friend had recently begun blogging.

So, I read the dozen or so posts she had on her blog. One thing lead to another and I found myself checking out one of her links.

A post about a guy who owns 75 things. That is it. He can pack to move anywhere in the world in about 15 minutes.

Now to be fair, he is not including books, nor furniture shared with his roommate.

So, of course, this set me to thinking.

Could I live with only 75 things (think so)?

Do I want to? Not really, I guess, but the idea of such simplicity really appeals to me. When we moved we downsized. When we arrived here we downsized even more. Having less stuff is freeing.

Of course we could do even more. And I want to. But we are a l-o-n-g way from 75. I think we have 75 pens and pencils alone!

I know it took us over a month to disperse all of my mother-in-law's belongings after she died. I don't want the kids to have to do that with our stuff.

Though, I'll never be a minimalist, I'd really like to have less stuff.

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
Matthew 6:19-21

I'm motivated to keep working on downsizing.

Anybody need some pens or pencils?






5 comments:

Becky said...

We downsized a ton when we moved, and even more when we got here too. We even have a pile of stuff to take to our boys when we go see them.

But 75 things? I probably 75 pens that don't even work :)

Lady Farmer said...

fun post!
me
(this is the downsized version!)

momawake said...

As for your kids having to go through your things...it's a lot of work sometimes, but it's also a trip down memory lane; very healing. I experienced this when going through my grandparents' things. So don't get rid of too much. :)

cheri said...

Becky and Lady Farmer, you both made me laugh!

And momawake, I didn't think about it that way...don't worry...they will have more than enough to go through!

Tonia said...

Great post!! I agree that living with only 75 things would be very, very difficult. I think I have 75 things (that I "need") just in my bathroom! But it is an everyday life goal of mine to simplify. With just about everything, I ask myself "can this be done with less?" It almost always can be.