Wednesday, March 31, 2010

new opportunity

Oh, I love being in women's Bible studies! Love the Tuesday group, love the Thursday group. I would be hard-pressed to choose which one I like best!

We had a great time in the Word yesterday. When I returned home, I received a phone call inviting me to be involved in another ministry.

I said yes.

I toured this facility a few months ago and was so impressed. Carefully designed and thought out, this is so much more than a domestic abuse shelter. Financial, nutritional, job, parenting and emotional counseling are all available to these gals. Training in life skills. There are several bedrooms set up for moms and up to 5 kids. There is a common cooking and living area.

The safety of the women and children is also taken into consideration. Security cameras abound and the facility is just a block from the sheriff's department.

Different organizations and individuals sponsored each of the bedrooms and made it their goal to decorate them in a homey, comfortable fashion. They are all downright cute and practical. I wouldn't mind living there! Especially in the shabby chic room which is so charming and cozy.

This is a faith-based organization and I am so grateful to be able to be a small part of bringing comfort and hope and peace to these dear ladies and children whose lives have been turned upside down.

One of the gals I pray with at the food pantry is the first resident. She is very excited about being able to live there.
~~~~~
Supposed to be in the mid-70's today. Time to break out the capris and sandals and go play in the dirt!

4 comments:

Becky said...

That looks like an amazing ministry Cheri. I am sure you will get much more than you give when you serve there.

And I was thinking the same thing today. Time for capris.

Lori said...

Cool! Richard works with the youth group for the local WINGS shelter (Women In Need Growing Stronger), mostly re-stocking and organizing the pantry. One day we were headed to meet with the youth group, on a night when Richard had a play to perform in. He complained about being tired. I told him he could skip going to WINGS if he wanted to. He looked at me very sternly, and said, "Mom, these people need our help."

I was sufficiently chastised.

Lori said...

Cool! Richard works with the youth group for the local WINGS shelter (Women In Need Growing Stronger), mostly re-stocking and organizing the pantry. One day we were headed to meet with the youth group, on a night when Richard had a play to perform in. He complained about being tired. I told him he could skip going to WINGS if he wanted to. He looked at me very sternly, and said, "Mom, these people need our help."

I was sufficiently chastised.

cheri said...

Thanks, Becky. Hope you got outside and had some fun!

Good job of teaching Richard the value of compassion, Lori!