Thursday, March 25, 2010

speak easy


I grew up in a very loving, stable home. For this, I am so grateful. And part of the stability meant that there were rules that must be obeyed.

Some of the rules involved our speech.

'Oh, be careful little mouth, what you say;
Oh, be careful little mouth, what you say;
For the Father up above is looking down in love,
So, be careful little mouth what you say.'

We were not allowed to say things like: 'dumb', 'stupid', 'shut up' or 'hate'. (Even now, I cringe to type these words - sorry Mom and Dad - just trying to make a point here.) Those were swear words. I don't think I heard the really bad words until I was in high school. Yep, pretty naive and glad for it.

My sister, in yesterday's comments, referred to the name calling and spitting that took place in Washington, D.C. prior to the health care vote. Name calling and spitting! I can not imagine being so angry as to lose control of myself and call someone a name or spit on them. (Sounds more like something a two year old or a junior high school bully would do.)

Whatever happened to civility? Neither name calling or spitting or shouting are any way to make your voice heard, let alone win an argument or persuade someone to see your point of view.

"Oh, yeah, well, since you spit on me I see how strongly you feel about this, therefore I will come around to your way of thinking."

Don't think so.


Let your speech always be with grace,
as though seasoned with salt,
so that you will know how you should respond to each person.
Colossians 4:6

~~~~~~
A few people have mentioned that they have had trouble commenting here. Sometimes Blogger behaves badly for me too!

Here is my dear friend Ann's comment regarding yesterday's blog:


I wrote about your Mom and how it made me smile to think of her going to the dump with earrings, scarf, and shoes to match her outfit. And just how cute I think your Mama is, both inside and out.

Ann, you are so right! I love my cute little mommy!

2 comments:

TNfarmgirl said...

Cheri,
I SO agree. Those awful words are not allowed here at all. Neither are some of the more popular "o.k." words like the one that starts with "c" and ends with "p". Crass, vulgar....banned!

People think I'm silly and old fashioned...come on...I'm just a wee bit over 50! So glad to hear I'm not the only one!

The Other Cheri

cheri said...

I figured we would be like-minded on this, Cheri!