Tuesday, April 13, 2010

the other side of the world


As I was getting a little spring cleaning and organizing done, I pulled an old shoebox-sized box out of our closet yesterday.

It primarily contained letters from the mid-80's, some from both of my grandmothers (so good to hear their 'voices' again) and many from my parents.

At that point in time Dad was working in Saudi Arabia. All four of us kids had left home, and as my brother puts it - 'Mom and Dad ran away from home'.

Mom directed at preschool there for ex-pat children, Dad worked at a desalinization plant for the General of Electric, though several of my friends were convinced he worked for the CIA.

They attended an underground church (complete with hidden Bibles and hymnals). Mom had to be very careful how she dressed when out in public and was not allowed to drive.

One of the benefits of working in the international division was frequent R&R trips, so they were able to do quite a bit of traveling, mostly in Europe. They could not travel to Israel, or Dad would not have been able to get back into Saudi. And did you know that many Arab airlines will not even fly over Israel? I'm not sure if they are refusing to recognize its existence or afraid of getting shot down.

I paid the bills while they were gone and tried to keep in touch with all the sibs, aunts and uncles and grandmas. Since this was before email and texting were available we communicated the old-fashioned way. Letters. I've read several of the letters with many more to go.

I was a littleconcerned about having my parents all the way around on the other side of the world, but knew they were making the best of it. In fact, I think they had a pretty good time.

Sure sounds like it in the letters.

3 comments:

Becky said...

What an interesting life they have had. They would be fun dinner guests I think.

George said...

We are open for invitations. The last one was Easter Sunday with Cheri & Pat. Yummy DOD & MOM

cheri said...

They are fun dinner guests!