Tuesday, April 27, 2010

packing

dianthus - last year's Mother's day gift - blooming this year in anticipation of the day

Growing up, I viewed a summer trip with the same eagerness and excitement generally reserved for Christmas or my birthday.

We would wake up early (like 4 or 5 a.m. early) and get settled in the back of the station wagon. Seat belts were not a concern back in those days and Dad had made a bench to go across the floor of the back seat. The four of us would take turns sprawling across either the back seat or the 'way back' of the station wagon. Mom always packed something interesting for us to look at in the car - books, comics, magazines, coloring books.

Vacations were fun - the destination and the getting there. We would sing. Loud and proud. We would snack. We would sleep and we might bicker. A little. We did not have DVD players in the back of the car, instead we would enjoy the scenery and play license plate games. We would stop at Howard Johnson' for lunch and I would blissfully order chocolate milk (a rare treat). When traveling on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, Dad would always honk the horn as we went through the tunnels (loved that! - then and now, I'm so easily pleased).

We would sleep during the pre-dawn hours and groggily awaken to the rising of the sun. To grandmother's house we would go.

I still prefer to get up super early and get a head start on the day and on the road. By the time the sun is up, I love to be well on my way.

Last night from 2-4 a.m., though still in bed, I was busily mentally packing my suitcase. I don't want to take a ton of stuff, but I want to have enough. We have several different events this trip. A birthday party for a two year old (yay, Joshua!), a graduation for an almost 22 year old (yay, Daniel!), times with family, times with friends, someone will be fishing, and we will go to church. The gamut runs from formal (church and graduation) to informal (picnics, campfires and fishing). The temperatures will range from 30*-80*(ahh, May in the Northwoods), so I have to keep that in mind too.

I think I have figured out what I need to take, so, in slightly obsessive compulsive fashion, I will probably do a trial packing today.

That way I can get some much needed beauty sleep tonight.

Here's a packing list for someone who travels only carrying a carry-on.


3 comments:

rwells said...

Hope you guys have a great time!

I remember those summer vacations! I barely remember the white station wagon we had - but will never forget the blue Gran Torino station wagon! One more round of the Titanic song! Do you have complete lyrics?

Been a little behind on reading the blog... No - i don't have the leisure suit anymore (rats) and Yes - I still wish I had some of that hair! (lol) Love ya Sis!

RW

bb said...

Have fun :) Cheri! I don't know if our paths will cross or not...but if not I will see you in TN. I just did thirty days with a one carryon bag and a computer/purse bag. I did have access to a washer and dryer but it made me realize I sure don't need most of what I have in my closet. Especially all those sizes that I used to wear back in the day. Enjoy your travels! BB

cheri said...

Yes, I still know the complete lyrics, Roger.

Too bad about the suit and my boys are counting on you hanging on to your hair!

Barb, I am so impressed! We will see you some time this year, LORD willing.

And let's not even talk about all those sizes we used to wear back in the day....