Saturday, July 10, 2010

canning peaches

Today the peaches are ready. Perfect! I'll be canning them today.

And...in a blackbelt tightwad move, I'll be saving the peels for this:

Peach Honey

Ingredients:

8 cups peach juice (from peelings)
4 cups sugar

Method: Save all washed, sound pieces and peelings from fruit used for preserves and pickles. Cover with water and cook slowly in a covered saucepot until soft. Then put in a cheesecloth bag and press to remove all juice. Drip the juice through a jelly bag and measure. Place in a sauce-pan and heat. When it boils vigorously, add sugar at the rate of half as much sugar as juice. Boil rapidly until the consistency of honey. Pour into hot jars, leaving 1⁄4-inch headspace. Wipe jar rims and adjust lids.

Process (10 minutes boiling water bath for pints)

4 comments:

Becky said...

Brilliant! I love your tips. I wish my Butler could eat that stuff. Sugar does him in.

swansmith said...

Wish I could be back there to help eat your delicious concoctions!:)
Love,

Suzi

cheri said...

You'll have to eat it for him, Becky!

Suzi, me too!

cheri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.