Saturday, October 30, 2010

breathing easy (don't take this for granted)

We were notified on facebook yesterday that friends of ours had 'gotten the call'. Mike has cystic fibrosis. He is 40 years old. You could hear him wheezing and coughing at church before you could see him coming. Makes me ashamed of complaining about the little cough I had this past week.

A few months ago they made the trek to Mayo Clinic to see if he qualified for a lung transplant.

He did.

Yesterday they received news that donor lungs were available. Wonderful and horrible news all at once.

Time was of the essence. A private carrier picked him up (along with his wife who is in the singing group I'm in) and whisked him off to Mayo. He was in surgery by late Friday afternoon and the surgery was successfully completed in the wee hours of the morning.

Please pray for Mike and Lee.

And remember the family whose loss made Mike and Lee's gain possible.
~~~~~~~~



our little cuties

Still contemplating what I might give away to celebrate my upcoming 2,000th post. Something handmade, I think. I'll try to decide by Monday. Leave a comment if you want to be included in the drawing!

3 comments:

Nanato4 said...

I'll be praying for your friends ... and for the family who lost their loved one.

Lora said...

Since starting work at the nursing home, I have such a heightened awareness of what blessing it is to be able to "breathe easy"...so many of our residents have COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), such as emphysema, chronic bronchitis, and severe asthma. It is very difficult to watch (and listen to) someone struggling for air. I am praying for Mike's full recovery and God's comfort for a grieving family.
PS ~ Those are sure some cute kids!

Cheri said...

Thanks so much for your prayers ladies!

And yes, Lora, those are some cute kids! :)