Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Martha and Mary moment #5


Mary says, in Luke 1:46:

" My soul exalts the LORD"


or as another translation reads:

"My soul praises the LORD".


Perhaps she was quoting Psalm 34:2:

"My soul will boast in the LORD

let the afflicted hear and rejoice."


alternatively translated:


"My soul shall make its boast in the LORD

The humble shall hear it and rejoice."


Psalm 34 is a beautiful Psalm on which to meditate. I lingered on verse 5.


"Those who look to Him are radiant

their faces are never covered with shame."*


Mary, faced with the staggering privilege and responsibility of carrying the Son of GOD in her womb - and the shame of being pregnant before marriage - looked to GOD. She praised Him; exalted Him. Despite and because of her circumstances.


Based on Psalm 34:5 we know her strength came from the LORD and was reflected in visible, radiant joy. Her soul exalted the LORD. What a wonderful example she has set for us!


~~~~~~~~

The phone rang yesterday. On the line was a friend from Bible study. She wanted to minister to her neighbor ladies during this Christmas season. Her idea was to invite them over for a Christmas tea.


"I'd like you to come give a short devotional and play a few Christmas carols so we can sing together." she said.


How could I say 'no' to that? (I couldn't.) We had to find a mutually available date and agreed on this Saturday. On my way to choir last night, a detailed devotional outline 'happened' to pop into my head. I love how the LORD works! I fleshed it out during some sleepless moments during the night and will polish it today.


I think her idea of sharing Christ with her neighbors is a wonderful one, that maybe some of the rest of us can copy. Kind of a Martha/Mary moment combo.


And here is another idea, of the crafty variety. Our blog friend Lady Farmer made a cute, cute, cute Nutcracker out of terra cotta flower pots. Go see~


*see also Exodus 34:29-35

2 comments:

Lady Farmer said...

Cheri~
I just love all parts of the Christmas Story, but especially the view through Mary's eyes! Awesome! What an example for us!
~
I would love to be able to go to your friend's Christmas Tea and to hear your devotional. Sounds like a marvelous little ministry! Perhaps your will share your devotional with us here, after you present it at the tea?
Christmas Blessings!

Cheri said...

I will, Lady Farmer. And I wish you could come too!