Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Martha and Mary moment #6

Verse 47 of Luke chapter 1 contains Mary's proclamation:


" and my spirit rejoices in GOD my Savior,"
This phrase is found in two places in the Old Testament.
"Then my soul will rejoice in the LORD and delight in His salvation."
Psalm 35:9
"Though the fig tree does not bud
and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
and no cattle in the stall,
yet I will rejoice in the LORD
I will be joyful in GOD my Savior."
Habakkuk 3:17-18
Beautiful passage, verse 17 informs verse 18. This is not a rejoicing when everything is going right. This is a rejoicing when everything is going wrong. Very wrong.
Hard? You bet. But what a gift to be able to rejoice in GOD my Savior.
No matter what.
~~~~~
Today's Martha tip, at least for yours truly is: clean out your recipe box. I wanted to share a recipe with you today, but I can't find it. It is what I plan to bring to our Bible study potluck tomorrow. I've already purchased the ingredients, but can't find the recipe.
So, here is another to enjoy while you go 'a wassailing':
Wassail
1 gallon cider
1 C. orange juice
1/2 C. lemon juice
1 1/2 C. water
1/2 C. Honey
2 sticks cinnamon
4 slices ginger
6 cloves
6 whole allspice
Simmer one hour.
Strain and simmer 30 more minutes.

4 comments:

Lady Farmer said...

Yikes! I think you have been in my kitchen! I was looking for a recipe yesterday in my 'recipe box'. It is a large carton with file folders FULL of recipes. Needless to say, I couldn't find it! Cleaning it out would deffinately be a good thing!
:~P

Anonymous said...

Good idea. Finding the Lemon Tea Cookie recipe the cookie girls tell me I will be making every year until eternity was a challenge too, as it is very used and torn out of the book. But for now, it just got put into it's own sandwich size zip lock bag so I can read it and keep it from deteriorating any farther (further?) (Home school mom spelling block). Cleaning out my recipes is something I might do when I am 90. This week, as both my husband and daughter damaged their cars (one deer, one ice patch) the last couple of days have been spent on and off the phone with insurance people. But so far, things are turning out well with both claims. Great verse. Linda

Anonymous said...

P.S. Loved the pioneer woman website! Linda

Cheri said...

WOW! You have a lot of recipes. I decided if I hadn't used it in 5 years - out it went. There are so many recipes on the web, I decided I could toss a bunch of mine with reckless abandon.

Another deer, Linda! Yikes! Glad everyone is okay and the claims are turning out well. Hmmm. Lemon Tea Cookies - sounds wonderful!

Glad you liked the pioneer woman website. She has become somewhat famous. I saw her on the Today show a month or two ago.