Monday, December 06, 2010

Martha and Mary moments #4

It is so easy to get overwhelmed with everything we want to cram into the Christmas season. Shopping, baking, decorating, concerts, programs, shopping, baking...

A young mom confessed her 'overwhelmedness' to me a week or so ago.

"I have to put up five trees in my house for Christmas!" she said.

"No, you don't, honey" said I.

Another gal is in charge of our choir dinner this coming Friday night.

"How can I help?" says I.

"Oh, I'm fine, I' m only cooking 2 turkeys and two hams and setting the tables for 48."

"I'll do some of the cooking," says I.

"No, that's okay."

"Then I will come help you set tables."

"Oh, well, okay."

Some are overwhelmed because they choose to be, they have hopped onto a runaway train and don't want to get off. Some are overwhelmed because of circumstances that have happened to them.

One advantage of getting older (okay...old) is that, hopefully, you learn to make wise choices and to pace yourself.

This week will be a busy one. Three rehearsals, one Bible study Christmas potluck, one choir dinner, one dress rehearsal and one performance (did I mention I am now officially a dingaling? I'm having a lot of fun in the bell choir!), a new piano student comes on board this week. I need to do some shopping for gifts for some needy children in our area (our Sunday school class tradition). And cooking ....for a lunch for the kids's choir and potluck things for the Bible study potluck and the choir potluck. Oh, and put up the trees. Only two - and they are small. And practice my accompaniments for the bell choir soloist (O Holy Night) and the kid's choir. And take Dad to his eye surgery on Wednesday.

It may sound like a lot, but I have a plan to conquer a little bit every day. To keep it simple as much as possible. And to nurture my 'Mary' side as much as my 'Martha' side.

I love the simplicity of this young mom's idea. Don't go out shopping for a bunch of stuff to decorate your house. Use what you have!

~~~~~~
Our pastor mentioned yesterday that the Magnificat (Mary's song of praise to the LORD after she met Elizabeth - Luke 1:46-55) has 30 references to other Scriptures. I knew there were some references, but I didn't realize there were that many. Over the next several days, I'll see how many I can find.

It is amazing to think that this young Jewish girl - quite possible illiterate - would know so much Scripture.

"My soul praises the LORD
and my spirit rejoices in GOD my Savior"
is reminiscent of Hannah's song of praise to God when she dedicated her miracle son Samuel to the service of the LORD.
"My heart rejoices in the LORD;
in the LORD my horn is lifted high"
Both woman were given amazing gifts and responsibilities from the LORD. Their immediate reaction was to lift their voices in praise to Him.
We should do no less.

5 comments:

Lady Farmer said...

I remember those days as a young mother, thinking I had to spend hours and days behind the sewing machine creating sweet frocks for my two girls for the chuch Christmas program, and then creating a miriad of presents that kept me burning the midnight oil. My focus was all wrong and Christmas wasn't much fun! (Yes, now that I am OLD(ER), I think I've finally got it figured out and have slowed way down. Christmas is too beautiful to let all that other stuff crowd it out!)

I am loving your Mary and Martha moments! (I would be honored to have you link to my post!)

I am anxiously awaiting your report on the many references of the Magnificat! Nice little mini study!
Christmas Cheer!

Anonymous said...

You are ringing? Good for you!
kjh

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a busy week. There's more time to do things when you are empty nesters, as we are all starting to be. Just got back from cookie baking day with the girls...Linda

Becky said...

I remember those days too ... wanting to make everyone's Christmas perfect and thinking it was my responsibility to do so. I love the freedom of knowing it is all about the heart and that is up to the individual. Age has its privileges.

Cheri said...

My dad always says: Too soon old, too late smart! I'm glad we are learning now, if not then, Lday Farmer. Thanks for permission to link!

Yes, kjh and enjoying!

I'll bet you gals had fun Linda. A busy week, but a fun one here.

Age does have its privileges, Becky. If only we could remember what they are! :)