Friday, January 14, 2011

friends

I had pre-arranged for Joyce to pick me up from the airport. Joyce and I make up two-thirds of the trio. She no longer lives in our former community, but the airport was on the way from her current home to the Northwoods.

It would be good to have that extra time with Joyce. We only get to see each other once every one or two years (not enough!). Another mutual friend of ours lives in the community where the airport is. I shouted out to her d-i-l on Facebook to let Jan know that I would be landing in Mosinee. But since I thought Jan was coming to the retreat, I didn't think any more about it.

Joyce was late getting to the airport, but my plane was later. Joyce rushed in to the baggage claim area looking around for me. She saw a familiar back of the head, but thought it too gray for me (but not by much!). Turns out it was Jan! Joyce and Jan had a lovely 20 minutes together (so I am told) while that waited for me.

Jan was not able to come to the retreat after all, but the three of us went to (a two hour) lunch together and got caught up on kids, grands, work and ministry opportunities. What a blessing!

The moral of this story, for me, is to do whatever you can to get together with old friends. Drop everything. You will be blessed. I still feel bad that I did not get to see everyone I wanted to see when up north, but that was due to lack of time, rather than lack of 'want to'.

It was great to reminisce with Jan and Joyce, as well as to catch up on the present. We could see God's faithful Hand upon each of our lives.

Now we look forward to the future together; excited to see what He has in store for us.

No comments: