Saturday, January 29, 2011

Why I am deactivating my facebook account

It seems that whenever the LORD wants to make a point that HE really wants me to heed, He lets me know it in at least three different ways (I must be sort of dense).

So over a period of two days, I read these two blog posts:

Saying farewell to facebook.

Your digital life is not your real life.

And then saw this quote on, of all things, a friend's facebook status:
One of the great uses of Twitter and Facebook will be to prove at the Last Day that prayerlessness was not from lack of time." - John Piper

Ouch.

So, I have deactivated my facebook account. I figure I spend 20-30 minutes nearly every day checking facebook statuses (but primarily looking for cute grandbaby pics).
That is over two hours a week! I can think of dozens of other ways to use that time...maybe even sending actual letters to people! Or yes, praying.

What about you? Do you have a facebook account? Do you need one? I think it can be a great tool. I love seeing my youth pastor sons using it to communicate with their students.

But as for me and my house? We're not gonna have facebook anymore.

2 comments:

Lady Farmer said...

I do have a facebook account ~ but don't spend much time there ~ only to check on my youngest daughter's well being! She rarely writes (real letters) only occasionally emails, and calls sometimes! As a mom, I need to know if she is OK. She is alone *clear across the country* while her hubby serves his nation in Afghanistan (for the second time!)If not for that, I would drop facebook in a heartbeat! Blogging is my time eater! I am trying to do less of that, too!
Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Well, it's nice to say hello to you across the miles at least with this blog....hope you keep this! I'm not on facebook but Ike is. Knee surgery went well; hope to be off crutches and able to drive again in a week. Hope your trips minister well to those in need. Linda