Friday, March 11, 2011

signs


The pictures, which I'm sure most of you have seen by now, are horrific. A wall of water and debris carrying off and destroying everything in its path.

Who can stand against such a disaster? I'd like to think I'm prepared for run of the mill, ordinary calamities, but not for anything like what has happened in Japan.

As I sit and work on my stitching (which is mostly sitting in my lap because I cannot tear my eyes away from the images on the television), Matthew 24:7 comes to mind:

Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom.
There will be famines and earthquakes in various places.
These are some of the signs of the end of the age.
And yet, we are not to fear.
Do not be anxious about anything,
but in everything by prayer and petition,
with thanksgiving,
present your requests to GOD.
And the peace of GOD,
which transcends all understanding,
will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians4:6-7
Peace in the midst of disaster? Only Christ can give that.

2 comments:

Lady Farmer said...

Amen!

Becky said...

I once took peace as my Word of the Year. Amazing. I discovered that indeed there IS no peace without Christ. And the only way to get it is through His presence. These were the verses I took that year. And He brought it. As He always does.

And I loved your comment on my "12 Steps" post. So true. Our kids are in a cruel world. Our grandkids are in a crueler world. Doubling prayer is the only answer I guess.