Friday, May 27, 2011

hail to the leaf

We had a few moments of severe weather yesterday (nothing to complain about - especially compared to recent storms in other areas). Thankfully, we were at home and our one and only car was safely tucked in the garage. We know of many others who were not so fortunate.

The auto glass industry will be very busy over the next few weeks in our area.

Some of the leaves on our plants were shredded, but it doesn't appear that any were dealt a fatal blow.

The hailstorm lasted for a few minutes, it seemed, hail bouncing off the lawn like popcorn. I've never witnessed a hailstorm this severe.

Sorry for the blurry picture, but here is some of the biggest hail Pat found in the yard:























~~~~~~~


The local kids are out of school now. Hearing them in the evenings reminds me of my carefree childhood summers. I wonder if kids now have as much fun as we did.


This was floating around on facebook recently:


‎"My curfew was lightning bugs, mom didn't call my cell, she yelled my name, I played outside with friends, not online, If I didn't eat what my mom cooked then I didn't eat. Sanitizer didn't exist, but you COULD get your mouth washed out with soap. I rode a bike without a helmet, getting dirty was ok,… and neighbors cared as much as your parents did. Re-post if you drank water from a garden hose and survived"


~~~~~~


Pat and I picked two gallons of strawberries the other day (sweet!). I was planning to make jam yesterday, but was concerned about a power outage mid-jam session.


So today is the day I be jammin'.



Have a wonderful and safe weekend everyone!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my word, that hail was huge. Enjoy your jammin! I just planted 10 strawberies in a hanger type planter this week. We, as you will remember, are just planting here now. Enjoy all of that great produce available so early! Linda

Lady Farmer said...

Crazy weather everywhere, it seems! We are still having so much rain and hail that damages the garden. Only one day this year that reached 70* and have a hard time getting above 60*. Things just don't want to grow ~ except weeds and grass that can't be mowed because it's too wet! Wonder how all this will affect the produce in the stores and fruit markets? I'm glad Someone Reliable is in control!
Blessings!

Becky said...

Lovely to catch up. That is some impressive hail. Glad all is well. Strawberry jam sounds wonderful. It is the only kind I eat :)

Cheri said...

Hey girls, thanks so much for your faithful reading of this blog and your comments. Taking a little break for the summer....Join me? I'll bring the sweet tea!