Sunday, September 04, 2011

The Shadow of a Mighty Rock within a weary land...


In anticipation of the arrival of my brother's family this afternoon, I scurried to the store before church (I usually avoid shopping on Sundays, but didn't plan very well this week - my bad).

The car radio was playing what will probably be a week-long memorial to September 11th. The stories are heart wrenching.

In addition to this of course, there are reports of floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, economic disaster.

Gloom, despair and agony.

Stations with 'all news, all the time' have become stations with 'all BAD news all the time'.

Personally, I try to keep up-beat and positive, but there are days when sadness overwhelms and tears are close at hand. Most of the sadness is due to the plight of others, as my little problems pale in comparison to others.

But when grief becomes a constant companion, the only remedy I recommend is a hearty concoction of time in the Word, in prayer and a dash of Christian music.

As I was test tasting the new (it is a keeper) recipe for baked beans and taking the blonde brownies out of the oven, this hymn came on the radio (not a news station):




Beneath the cross of Jesus, I fain would take my stand.



The shadow of a Mighty Rock, within a weary land,



A home within the wilderness, a rest along the way;



From the burning of the noon-tide heat and the burden of the day.









Just what I need - some time in the shadow of a Mighty Rock within this weary land.



No comments: