Thursday, November 17, 2011

got money?

If I were the type to scream at the television (I'm not), I would have been screaming at the television last night.

This past week, I've been systematically taking the socks from my sock drawer and darning them.  Some had small holes, some just had worn spots that I stitched over to prevent holes.  Does anyone else darn socks these days?

I'm  darning socks as  the CEO's of Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae are on the screen before a congressional subcommittee justifying giving (and taking) millions of dollars in bonuses on the heels of accepting billions of dollars of bail out money.

I'm darning socks.

The past few months, we have had to do some extra belt tightening. 

A new roof due to hail damage.  Deductible $1000
A new me, sans gall bladder.       Deductible $5000.
Our property tax bill - up 20%.

Unusual expenses.

And groceries?  I'm sure you have felt the pinch too.

I do a dozens of things a day that most 'normal' people (I place myself firmly outside of the category of 'normal') don't do, just to save a few pennies here and there.

I darn socks.
I mend unmentionables.
I mend everything.
My 'Sunday' shoes are polished regularly and have lasted me several (10?) or so years.
I save the water from the faucet while I wait for it to heat up for my shower - this is usually about two gallons which I use to water the garden in summer and flush the toilet in winter.
I save butter wrappers to grease pans when I bake.  I think I've only bought about 2 cans of P*m in my life.
I cook from scratch.
I save chicken bones or turkey carcasses to make broth.
I dry our clothes on a drying rack - rarely use our electric dryer.
Because I air dry our clothes, they last much longer and I don't need to buy as many clothes (I currently have fewer than 35 articles of clothing, not counting unmentionables).
I use a combination of baking soda and cornstarch in place of deodorant.
I garden.
I don't turn down things other people offer me (zucchini from the neighbors for example).
I wash and re-use foil.

To name a few.

I do all this and more because, yes, I am a card carrying tightwad, but more importantly because I believe that GOD has called me to be a good steward of all that He has given me.  It makes me cringe to waste any of it.

I've been praying Proverbs 3:5 and 6 the last week or so as I have been anticipating the bills coming in.

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
  In all your ways acknowledge Him and He make straight your paths."

Yesterday was a break through day.  I had laid all the bills out before Pat and showed him all the anticipated income.  For this month, we will be fine and will not have to take anything out of retirement funds.  It was close, very, very close.  But we have enough.

We rejoiced in GOD's provision and thanked Him for His amazing love for us.  All the penny saving things I do cannot begin to account for His provision for us.  It truly comes from His hand.

So last night, after watching the news I realized that though the stone-faced  CEO's  have more money than I do, they cannot possibly have a more grateful heart or a more contented smile on their faces.

Am I a millionaire?  Not even close.  But I am rich beyond measure.


And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.
Phillipians 4:19



7 comments:

JAC said...

Wow Cheri ! You are ani inspiration! Go tightwad go!

Gluten Free Jesus Freak said...

Just rediscovered your blog. Love, love, love it. Thanks for the heartfelt words, the sharing of Scripture, and the wisdom.

I feel a little bit like I'm part of your Bible study from a distance. Thank you!

Charlotte said...

Cheri I have long wanted to know how to darn a sock will you come home and teach me? I defiantly have enough sock to fix in my house. Love your blog I can't wait to explore.

Anonymous said...

Just thinking like Charlotte that you need to come home...frugal living/old-time skill classes are something a friend had talked to me about for church. Is the northwoods calling your name? Linda

hesowedshesewed.com said...

great words of wisdom, a very great reminder that we are all so blessed.
Love this "I too love being a I am a card carrying tightwad, but more importantly because I believe that GOD has called me to be a good steward of all that He has given me"
thank you Cheri!

Mama and Papa Shep said...

Hi, Cheri. KJV's friend, Suzanne, here. Your blog made me smile this morning. Don't you just have to laugh at the articles in magazines that share ideas on how to save? Or my personal favorite - the ones on hidden ways you may be wasting money? I often find that I am already practicing most of the money-saving tips suggested! These are old skills of thrift, gone by the wayside. Hurray for you, that they simply flow out of who you are as a person. And praise God for the gift of love He gives that makes us rich beyond measure!!

Cheri said...

Hey, Jeni - thanks for visiting!

Courtney, I tried to comment on your blog to no avail. Thanks for much for stopping by - I visit your blog as time allows and am making a list of gf friendly products to pick up for my future d-i-l.

Charlotte, I will try to put up a link or a tutorial soon for darning - so good to hear from you!

Linda, you, Mary, Lora, Ann and I will have to host Frugual U(niversity) some day!

Caitlyn, thanks for your comment - your blog continually inspires me!

Suzanne, what a nice surprise - how great to hear from you. You are so right about those magazine articles. We will have to teach them to take frugality to the next level!