Monday, November 07, 2011

hearing voices

During my childhood, Chicken Chow Mein came from a can.  And I liked it.

It never occurred to me to make it from scratch until I decided to actually put my many cookbooks to use and try out new recipes at least once a week.

I decided to go way back in time and use the oldest cookbook first.  Chicken was on sale so I baked several pounds of chicken and cut the meat off the bones.

The bones were then thrown into the stock pot along  with some celery, onions and carrots.  It is simmering away as I write this and soon I will have a half gallon or so of chicken stock which will be frozen in two cup portions.

The chicken meat has also been frozen in two cup portions, except for what I used for Chicken Chow Mein.

Before I share the recipe, I have to say that this is one fascinating cookbook.  It was written in 1940.  The Great Depression was over, but still a very vivid memory.

Food rationing had begun in Great Britain.
The movie Pinocchio was released.
Elmer Fudd m-m-m-ade his f-f-first appearance.
Winston Churchill told the House of Commons, "I have nothing to offer you but blood, toil, tears, and sweat."

The very first McDonald's opened.
More 1940 events can be viewed here.
 
 
This cookbook has no recipes for 'boneless, skinless chicken breasts' . Recipes for creamed veggies or meat begin with a white sauce, not a can of soup.
 
I decided not to try the recipes for Possum, squirrel, or pickled cockscomb, though it is nice to know I have them if times get tough.
 
I love reading cookbooks and this one is no exception.   
Here is the recipe, which has been pronounced delicious by the man of the house.
 
1 C. celery strips                                              2 tsp.soy sauce
1 small onion, sliced                                          1/2 C. sliced mushrooms
1 green pepper, finely sliced                               2 C. shredded cooked chicken
2 C. Chicken stock                                           1 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. salt                                                          2 T. water (I used about 1 tsp.)
1 can Chinese noodles
 
Cook celery, onion and  green pepper in stock 20 minutes; add salt, soy sauce, mushrooms, chicken and cornstarch mixed with water and cook 10 minutes stirring until thickened.  Serve on crisp noodles; garnish top with slices of breast meat if desired.  Yield: 6 portions.
 
The cookbook is America's Cook Book compiled by New York Herald Tribune Home Institute .
 
The next recipe I have my eye on?  Bread pudding.  Love bread pudding.  I'll let you know how that turns out.
~~~~~
 
We spent a little bit of time walking down memory lane this weekend.  Pat hooked up Mom and Dad's VCR to our TV.  We watched VHS tapes of a 12 year old Jon singing a solo (so sweet) a 15 year old Nate acting (with confidence) as well as a tape of Pat's folks, cousin and two of his uncles.
 
So wonderful to hear those voices and see those precious loved ones.
 
  It has been a long time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm, I wonder if they have a category at the fair for canned pickled cockscomb? I just finished a quilt for Abby for Christmas using all of her youth group t-shirts (Power of One, etc) that she would never let me throw away.....so there's a way you can use up those, if your t-shirt pile is as abundant as your paper clips! Linda