Wednesday, November 23, 2011

how to wake up one morning and realize you have been married for 38 years


the view from our bedroom window from April until mid-November - what a blessing!



Today is our 38th wedding anniversary.   We married when I was 19.  That means I have been married twice as long as I was not married.

I have mentioned this before, but it bears repeating.  The smartest thing Pat and I ever did as an engaged couple was memorize I Corinthians 13.




1 If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.







4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.






8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.






13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.


These powerful Words of Life have derailed misunderstandings, arguments and selfishness.  Do you realize how many things you need to leave unsaid if you choose to be patient or kind?

I would recommend that every engaged couple memorize I Corinthians 13.

And if you are already married?

Memorize I Corinthians 13!

As I was preparing Thanksgiving things in the kitchen yesterday I heard a snippet of a broadcast on the Christian radio station.  They spoke of 'old love'.  I had not heard the context of that phrase, but from what followed I took it to mean - steady, stable, lasting love.

You know,  like 'old money' Rockefeller, Getty, Vanderbilt. 

Permanent. 

That is what we have.  Old love.  Vintage.  The years have added a wonderful patina.  Glowing, burnished, rich.  The sharp edges have been smoothed.  The path has been windy -but always travelled hand in hand.  Following GOD as He enables us.

Love you Patrick. 

38 more years? 

Yes, please.
~~~~~

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I'll be back on Monday, LORD willing, to share some exciting news (exciting even though it is not a new grandbaby type news).





                                                            roses every morning!

2 comments:

swansmith said...

Happy anniversary, you two! Hope your day is really terrific and that your roses bloom almost as strong as your love has! <3

Suzi

Cheri said...

Thank you sis!