Tuesday, January 10, 2012

mountain majesty

Don't hate me, but this view is a quick 15 minute walk from our home.
Particularly spectacular when the day is clear and the mountains are snowcapped.


I'm a little late to the party here, but I have noticed that various bloggers around the web are either recapping the past year or reporting on their reading list for the current year.  I'll do both; one today, one tomorrow.

2011:

January.  I flew back to the Northwoods, privileged to be singing with my 'old' (teehee) trio.  Lots of friends were are the retreat and it was a wonderful time.

February.  We learned late January that our daughter-in-love's mother Eileen was not going to survive her fight with cancer.  She wanted Pat to officiate over her memorial service.  We flew up to the Chicago area the last few days of January and came home  to meet with Eileen and plan her service.

Two weeks later we flew back up to  Chicago to celebrate her life.

May.  We drove up to Chicagoland for Harvest University.  We had every intention of being part of a church plant in our county.  We stayed at Nate and Michelle's; Daniel attended Harvest U with us.  It was a marvelous time.  After Harvest U, we drove to Iowa to see Jon, Kristi and the grands.

June.  Jon went on a mission trip to New Orleans, y'all.  I flew to Iowa to hang out with Kristi and the grands (then only two) while he was gone.  We learned that our church plant was going to be moving two counties north of us and we determined that we would not be able to continue to be involved with such a great distance.  We were sad.  My sisters came to visit.  I was glad.

July and August were beastly hot.  Beastly hot.  Too hot to do anything outdoors.  We sat by the window and watched our garden wilt.  A trip to the end of the driveway for the mail resulted in major sweatiness.
I think we had something like 75+ days last summer over 90.  Not as hot as Texas, but plenty hot for these Northwoods transplants. Too hot to fish,  Pat learned to navigate the new waters of Medicare.
We learned that our church plant was going to be moving two counties north of us and we determined that we would not be able to continue to be involved with such a great distance. We were sad. My sisters came to visit during the summer. I was glad.



September.  A new granddaughter.  I hopped in an airplane again (5th time in 2011) to welcome our precious third grandchild, Lainey.  We also got a new roof (no where near as exciting as a new grand!).

October and November were filled with sewing.  And piano lessons.  Oh, and gall bladder surgery.

December.  One more trip up to Chicagoland.  My 7th trip to see  kids and grands. We drove without incident and had an absolutely fantastic time.

As I look over the year  I am simply amazed.  There is no way, on our income, that we should have been able to afford all those trips up north, let alone the deductible on our new roof and my gall bladder surgery.

And yet we did.  Because of God's abundant, yet, mysterious provision. 

He can make breathtaking mountains (and views), He can provide abundantly more than we ask or imagine.

We are so grateful.

1 comment:

Will Peartin said...

I'd be fine with walking home if I get to see that peaceful view. Congratulations on getting your new roof last September! I wish you can show some of the photos of your new roof.