Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Reading list

Random picture of a cute chihuahua we took care of last fall. 
This is her 'whatchu talkin' 'bout Willis' look.

In a nod to New Year's resolutions, I've been going through a few paper piles that have developed here and there lately.  I try to keep clutter free surfaces, when possible but sometimes my desk is the recipient of those 'oops, my piano student will be here in five minutes, gotta put this mail somewhere' decisions.

The really nice thing about this is that at times I find some wonderful surprises.  Late last fall, I was searching for a particular piece of paper, one I knew I would not have thrown away.  Imagine my delight when I found it at the bottom of the pile on my desk.

It is a Suggested Reading List by Elisabeth Elliot.  Elisabeth Elliot, sadly, is no longer in the public eye, but her no nonsense teaching of Scripture, her life example and her writings continue to inspire me.

The list is long.  I've read some and would like to read all the recommendations, but that is too daunting a task for one year.


Blackmore:  Lorna Doone
Bonhoeffer, Dietrich: The Cost of Discipleship
Brother Lawrence: Practicing the Presence of GOD
Bunyan: Pilgrim's Progress
Carmichael, Amy: Gold Cord: If; His Thoughts SaidHis Father Said; anything else you can get your hands on of hers!
Chesteron, G.K. Orthodoxy; Everlasting Man
Dinesen, Isak: Out of Africa; Babbet's Feast; and many more short stories
Dostoevsky: Crime and Punishment; Brother's Karamazov
Fenelon: Spiritual Letters to Women
Guardini, Romano: The LordHerman, E. Creative Prayer
Hopkins, Gerard Manly: poetry - "God's Grandeur;" "The Leaden Echo;" The Golden Echo"
Kuhn, Isobel: In the Arena; By Searching
Lewis, C.S.: multiple titles
MacDonald, George: Sir Gibbie or any of his novels
O'Connor, Flannery: Mystery and Manners; short stories
Rutherford, Samuel: Letters
Sayers, Dorothy: Unpopular Opinions; The Mind of the Creator
Smith, Hannah Whitall: The Christian's Secret of a Happy Life
Thompson, Francis: "The Hound of Heaven: (poem)
Tolstoy: Anna Karenina; War and Peace
Trotter, Lilias: Parables of the Cross; Parables of the Christlife
Underhill, Evelyn:  multiple titles
Undset, Sigrid: Kristin Lavransdatter
Vann, Gerald: The Son's Course: The Divine Pity


How about you?  What are you reading?  Have you read any of the above?  What is your favorite book?

No comments: