Friday, April 26, 2013

not wearing out

In the book of Nehemiah, upon the occasion of the celebration of the completion of the wall of Jerusalem, the Levites recount to the Israelites all of GOD's faithfulness to them.


"For forty years you sustained them in the desert; they lacked nothing, their clothes did not wear out nor did their feet become swollen." Nehemiah 9:21


       

Today is laundry detergent day.  Time to make a new batch. It takes several minutes to hand grate a bar and a half of Castile soap and add it to a box of washing soda and a half a box of borax.

As I grated, I listened to the radio; NPR.  Jerry Seinfeld was being I interviewed.  He said, "98% of all human interaction is just killing time."

I laughed.  Wonder what he would think of making your own laundry detergent?

Still, as I grated I was grateful: for humor, for technology, for old-fashioned ways of doing things, for clothing that doesn't wear out (line drying helps make clothes last).

And. For God's Word which continually reminds us of His faithfulness. 

When I work with my hands, I'm not just killing time.

When I read God's Word I'm not just killing time either, but redeeming it and giving each new da a wonderful fresh start.  Much like the clothes of the Israelites, not only am I not wearing (spiritually) out, I'm being sustained!

No comments: