Monday, September 29, 2014

Begin again

                            

Oh, my.  What a glorious fall!  I think because this is our first fall back in the Northwoods in six years we have a greater appreciation for the beauty we have here.  The colors range from a pale yellow to gold to orange to red to burgundy to bronze.  With the backdrop of conifers, the contrast is stunning.

Even on a gray gloomy day, the woods are alive with color and light.  We are just past peak color, which is always a little sad, but the leaves that have fallen still retain their brilliance.  At least for a few days.

And then, there will be raking.  

The resident fisherman and I explored the woods around our home the other day.  We own 1.5 acres, but are adjacent to hundreds of acres of recreation area.  We found an intriguing looking trail the other day and did some exploring.

It was picture perfect day: no bugs, 72 degrees, light breeze,beautiful blue sky.  The trail sloped gradually upward and we soon found ourselves at the top of a ridge overlooking a lovely gully.

We both felt so blessed and so thankful to be in this beautiful spot and a snippet of a phrase from a hymn went through my mind:


When through the woods and forest glades I wander
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees,


Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to thee:
How great thou art! How great thou art!



It was an impromptu worship service in the middle of a forest glade.  We felt blessed beyond measure.

~~~~~~~~~

Several bloggers are doing a '31 days of blogging'challenge during the month of October.  I am toying with the idea of jumping back into the blogosphere again.  I don't plan to link up to any of the 31 day challenges, but unofficially, I think I will go for it.

Anybody else out there?








No comments: