Thursday, October 02, 2014

Challenging




I'm sure if you looked hard enough throughout the blogosphere you would find several 31 day challenges.  

I've noticed a few:

  • 31 days of writing
  • 31 days of zero spending
  • 31 days of vignettes

Recently I took on a challenge of my own:
Breaking up with the grocery store for three months.

I really don't have anything against grocery stores.  In fact, I rather like grocery shopping in our little community.  I often run into friends or acquaintances and enjoy the pleasant conversations that ensue.

But the grocery store is fraught with danger.  A little dramatic?  Let me state it another way: the grocery store is filled with 'food' that isn't necessarily good for you.  And it goes on 'sale' and is placed in attractive displays right at eye level.  Your eye level or your kids' eye level.

Anyway, I have not shopped at our grocery stores since August 1st.  Until today.  More on that in a minute.

Instead, we ate up food that we had on hand in preparation for our move.  Now that we have moved, our shopping as been done at the Farmer's Market, the local meat market (bonus: owned by a friend from church) and the Amish Market.

I haved saved money on my grocery budget.

Haven't missed he grocery store at all.

However, today I caved to the twin siren calls of frugality and convenience.  It is cranberry fest in our little town.  Cranberries and craisins are at their lowest price of the year.  I had to stock up.

I entered the store and purposefully strode to the produce department. ( not hard, it is right inside the door).  I bagged up my produce and headed for the checkout.

As I put my groceries on the conveyor belt, a young gal came up behind me and started putting her groceries behind mine.  I glanced at her and instantly recognized her.  'Hi Christy!' I said.
'Hi, Mrs. S!' she responded enthusiastically.

We chatted for a few minutes, catching up with each other.  After I paid the cashier, I asked her to be sure to greet her mother.

How did I know Christy?  I was her first grade teacher 35 years ago.  We have only seen each other once since I taught her.  And yet there was instant recognition and fond familiarity.  I love my small town life.

That grocery store challenge?  It was fun while it lasted.  But I'm ready to get reacquainted with the grocery store.

And keep my eyes open for my little first graders.  

Who are all now in their 40's.




No comments: