Saturday, October 11, 2014

Fallish


Much of what I see surrounding me says "FALL!".

Beautiful scenery, raking, mulching (though there are still lots of leaves yet to fall), canning crisp mornings, the deer's coats are turning darker....

Most of the half bushel of tomatoes I bought the other day has been canned, salsa-ed, souped or stuffed.

And stuffed tomatoes?  Yes, please!  I used a recipe from an ancient copy of The Boston School of Cooking as a starting point.

Scoop the pulp out of a medium to large tomato.
  Brown some ground beef with onion, add the pulp to this mixture and cook til pulp is soft.  
Add in some soft bread crumbs.  
Season to taste.  
Mix in an egg to bind ingredients and stuff in the tomato. 
 Bake 400* for 20 minutes.  
I served this with a dollop of sour cream sprinkled with toasted bread crumbs.

Yum.

Quantities?  I browned up a pound of burger with a chopped onion and probably split a quarter pound of beef between our two tomatoes.  I cubed up a slice (or was it two?) of bread and toasted it/them in the cast iron skillet with a generous pat of butter.  Olive oil would work too.

It is one of those very forgiving recipes.  And tasty.



Even though the scenery outside the window says fall, I need to switch into Christmas mode.  I haven't started the Christmas stocking yet for our next little guy.  Plus we have a meeting at church tomorrow to discuss the plans for Advent and Christmas Eve,

Joy to the World!

                           'Our' pond.  Photos by resident fisherman.

No comments: