Saturday, November 08, 2014

Not a slave to fashion

Disclaimer # 1. Do not take fashion advice from me.

Disclaimer # 2.  This post is DESCRIPTIVE of what I do and not  (necessarily) PRESCRIPTIVE for you.

Disclaimer # 3.  I do not work outside the home, although I volunteer in a few different capacities and try to look neat and presentable for these.




(Note:  I am blogging on my ipad and do not have a way to post links with this blogger app.  Y'all will have to use g**gle to search for sources.

So.  Steve Jobs had a uniform. Black turtleneck, jeans, white tennies.

Mark Zuckerburg wears a hoodie, tee shirt and jeans.

President Obama rotates between black or navy suits.


All three of these fellows make (* made* in the case of Jobs) many decisions each day.  Those decisions do not involve standing in the closet moaning that they have nothing to wear.



A few years ago I heard of a project called Project 333 on the blog Being More with Less.  You were allowed 33 items including clothes, accessories, jewelry, outerwear and shoes for three months (no, not all at once silly).  I participated in this project without signing up and found it freeing.  And not really hard at all for me (not a slave to fashion).

Since I did that, I have come across other challenges:

 Six items or less (six articles of clothing for a month-shoes, jewelry, accessories, outerwear, exercise wear, pjs don't count).

Brown dress project ( a performance artist wore a brown dress for a year, freely accessorizing with sweaters, scarves. Etc.).

Black dress project ( the uniform project- a young woman wore a black dress for a year, freely accessorizing).

So, this is an idea that has limited interest in our consumer driven culture.  But -hey. We don't need an Imelda Marcos-sized shoe collection.  We don't need massive walk-in closets.  We don't need as much as we have.

I deliberately pared down my wardrobe a few years ago and haven't looked back.

Here's the tally:
Three sweaters (brown, black, multi)
Two blazers (( tan, black)
Two jeans
One black dress pants
One black workout pants
Two skirts: one black, one print.
One pair of denim capris
Three 3/4 sleeve v neck tees (teal, purple, pink)
One long sleeved tee. (Cranberry)
Three short sleeved tees. (black, blue,fuchsia) 
One light colored blouse.
One purple cotton top
One turquoise top.
_________________
22 articles of clothing.

2 pairs of boots ( casual and super casual)
1 pair of tennies
1 pair of black slides
1 pair of black clogs.
1 pair of tan flats (summer only)
1 pair of flipflops
1 pair of sandals
1 black purse
1 multi-colored purse (summer)

I have a few scarves and some (mostly vintage) jewelry, but basically only wear my wedding ring (always) and a pair of earrings.  Most everything above can be mixed and matched.  My foundation color is black - shoes, boots, purse.

I can fit into everything I have - no 'fat clothes' or 'skinny clothes'.

Boring? Maybe, but I prefer to think of it as freeing.

 I am enjoying my new found freedom as a closet minimalist.

I'd love to hear what you think.  Are you interested in paring down?  Is my wardrobe excessive compared to yours?  Do you think I'm crazy?  Have you ever counted what you have in your closet?

Do tell!

http://www.becomingminimalist.com/consumer-isnt/


1 comment:

swansmith said...

What are black slides? Sounds excessive to me. ;)
Good ideas, as per usual! Wish I had your gift--I need you to come visit to help me!
~ Suzi