Thursday, January 15, 2015

Antiquated

We had a delightful time last night celebrating a sweet young mom-to-be.  There were 15 or so of us gathered into a cozy home.  We ate delicious food, played a few fun games (oh, and?  I won.  :) ). It was wonderful to be in the company of so many young women who love Jesus.

The age range was twenty- something's to sixty-something's .  I reconnected with a good friend whom I have not seen in 7 years.  Nancy and I quietly chatted throughout the evening catching each other up on her four and my three children.  Celebrating God's goodness through the years.  Rejoicing in our blessings and affirming that even in painful, difficult times, God had not left us or forsaken us.

The hostess of the event called us together for a devotional time.  She read a Scripture passage - Psalm 127.  We moms, nodded and agreed that children are indeed a blessing from the LORD.

Then she pulled out a familiar looking book.  Her father bought it for her in an antique store, she said.  When she had her first born she said.  I did not know our hostess well at all, but saw one of her children last evening and he appeared to be 8 or 9.  Whether or not he was her first born I do not know.

What I do know is that as soon as Nancy and I saw the cover of the book and heard it had come from an antique store, we exclaimed.

We couldn't help ourselves.  This book was given to us by our local hospital when we had our babies.  Not all that long ago.  At least that is how it feels.

And now, it resides on shelves in antique stores.

We laughed so hard.  Our sweet little hostess apologized, afraid of offending us.

We were not offended.  We have learned to delight in our advanced age.

The blessing of old age is seeing GOD work.  Through the years and now through the decades.

I may be old; books I received what seems like only yesterday may be old; but seeing 
GOD at work?

That never gets old.

A picture of a very old book.  :)

No comments: