Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Health care NOT gov part 1

                                                      In the backyard on any given day


Before we moved from Tennessee, I started checking to see if my health insurance coverage would transfer to Wisconsin.  It would not, but I was told I would be given a 90 day grace period to find a new policy.

Imagine my surprise when I received a letter at the end of January 2014 telling me that my coverage had been terminated on January 7, two weeks into my 'grace period'.

Suddenly uninsured, I went on the popular (snicker) health care dot gov site and plugged in my info.  Previously my monthly premium was $338.  I was dismayed to find that new premium would be $568.

No good.

It was a Friday afternoon.  The end of the month of January.  The deadline for having one's health insurance in place. I could tell I was going to need something fast.  I don't do fast well.  More of a tortoise than a hare.

Not comfortable making a snap decision I purchased a three month non renewable policy, major medical, high deductible.  Really high.

Thankfully I did not need to file any claims during this time.

And the hunt was on for something affordable.



No comments: