Thursday, January 22, 2015

Health care NOT gov part 2

                                                   red-bellied woodpecker

see health care NOT gov part 1 here

I was searching for a rare bird, much like the red-bellied woodpecker above.  That rare bird was AFFORDABLE insurance.

It was an elusive thing.

Then I remembered that my son's brother-in-law and sister-in-had some sort of alternative to 'regular' insurance.

I sent a note with some questions to Kelly:


  • What 'insurance' do you have?
  • Are you happy with it?
  • Is it affordable?
  • Have you used it?
  • How does it work?


She answered these questions and more.


  • Samaritan's Ministries
  • Yes.
  • Yes.
  • Yes. 
  • It works beautifully 
They put their Samaritan's Ministries to the test.  Read their miraculous story here.

I was privileged to witness this incredible event.  Really, read it.

I began investigating Samaritan's Ministries to see if it would suit my purposes.

Long story short?  It would.

The language is different for Samaritan's.  Not insurance, but health care sharing.  Not premiums, payments are called shares.  You don't file a claim, you make known your need.

It follows the Biblical model of Galatians 6:2., bearing one another's burdens.

Here is how it works in a nutshell:
My individual share is $180 a month.  My first three shares were sent to the corporate office.  After that I send my $180 directly to an individual or a family with a need.  Addresses provided.We are encouraged to send a note along with our checks. For example, I recently sent a check to a couple that had a miscarriage.  I was able to send them verses and lyrics to a hymn that were particularly  comforting when I had my miscarriage.

To become a member of Samaritan's, you have to agree to a few things.  You must be a member and regular attender of a church (your pastor signs a form for you stating that this is so).  No tobacco or illegal drug use. No alcohol, although an occasional celebratory drink is
allowed.

No pre-existing conditions are covered, although they will make needs known and  individuals who are able may send you a check to help with expenses.
For example, because the published needs were lower than anticipated, our share rate dropped last month from the standard $180 to $149.  Below the address I was to send my shares to, was an unpublished need of a lady who had a pre-existing condition of uterine cancer. We invited to send our extra $31 dollars to her.  Since that money was already budgeted for my health care shares, I did.

Yes, I signed up. Last May.

When I first signed up, there were about 36,000 members.  Now? 40,000.

And soon, I would be putting my Samaritan's health sharing network to the test.

No comments: